9003 headlight installed!

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a little FYI if you guys wanna save some cash, my 82 sohc headlight burned out on my way to work this morning, I work in a auto shop so I grabbed a 9003 automotive bulb and pulled off the light, just bend up the five tabs and pull the old bulb out, the actual glass of the bulb will have to be broke to pull it out, then cut off the metal ring around the new bulb and pull the rubber grommet off the old bulb to reuse, fits perfect! Only issue is my dim and bright switch seems to be reversed? I would think this light will be brighter as its a 60/65 Watt vs the 35/50 that was in there, suppose it's a little late now but it seems OK even at idle.

I'm at the final stages of restoring my '79 and am pretty concerned about brightness, but don't want to go the HID conversion route.

Good to know this works, I wonder if it's the brightest option without a headache?

My understanding is that it is a bit of a strain on the charging system unless you change your brake & turn bulbs (& maybe your instrument panel bulbs) to LED.

I just put a Bi-Xenon in my '79. Took a little time, but not much money, and it's both bright and low wattage.

Good to know. Sounds like I have some wiring to do.

Got a link to the best thread for making an LED Signal / Bi-Xenon conversion? (or links)

Back