Another noob electrical question....

thejadedfool

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I removed the wiring harness... I think I have correctly identified most of the electronica attached to said harness =)

Seems like the important stuff is attached to the battery box / air filter assembly... There is the big ignition unit with a wad o wires coming out... the thing with fins on it and mounted under the ignition unit is the rectifier ( please correct me if I am wrong on any of this... Then on the side of the unit there is a small square silver box with 3 wires ( green brown and black ) this is the regulator... correct??

The bike was not charging before I pulled it apart... so I downloaded the manual and was going through the trouble shooting steps...

The rectifier seems good and is only passing juice one way... so I went to test the regulator... it says to test the resistance between the black wire and the base of the regulator ( they said the base is black in the manual )... I am confused here... do they mean the black battery box assembly that the regulator is bolted to?? Cuz the only black on the regulator is the rubber seal on the back... which isnt gonna pass any juice what so ever... so the green and brown test out correctly... but I am unsure if i am testing the regulator correctly...

Anyone got any ideas??

Peace
David

OK... Found some more info... I have the items identified correctly... What is interesting is that my voltage regulator is not adjustable... as the manual says... so I am wondering if the testing procedure need to be different...

Ok... so I pulled the regulator off of an running yamaha xj bike... it has an electronic rectifier / regulator... has the same wire patterns using a shared black i assume... and tried to test the regulator part... gave me the same results as the one from my bike... so i think my regulator might be good...

bad news though... i went and did the check on the 3 white wires coming from the alternator... NADA!! No reading at all... then i went to a spare xs400 engine i have... and that got a reading across all wire combo's... so i am starting to suspect that the issue is the alternator...

The good news is that I have that extra engine... AND i was going to be taking the whole side plate from that and put it on my bike anyway...cuz there is a crack where one of the bolts are and it is leaking a little oil... so i guess i will just be taking that whole side and swapping...

There is one difference though... the spare engine has 3 white and a yellow coming from the alternator... my current engine only has 3 white... however I do not think this will be an issue... since the simplified wiring diagrams say to cap the yellow anyway...

If anyone has any input on any of my ramblings please feel free to throw out any suggestions or tips...

Thanx all!!

David

OK so this is the one man thread I guess... lol

I am now thinking about swapping engines entirely... both engines are stripped down and could be out in a few minutes...

Here is another question for all...

Can I replace the points on the other engine with the electronics from my current engine??

thanx

david

PROGRESS!!!

Ok... I am beginning to loathe the previous owner of this bike... well perhaps I should thank him for the lessons on what NOT to do to your bike =)

So I got no readings from the 3 white wires from the alternator... So I pulled the side plate... Also found out he used the wrong length bolt for one of the bolts holding the side plate... was way to long and there for did not seal correctly... hence the oil leaking into the front sprocket area... huge mess... anyway...

So the guy says the starter doesnt work.. thats because he took it out without doing any research and the gear and chain dropped down into the casing... it is a miriacle that it didnt cause havoc prior to this... so when i pulled the cover i found a tore up gear and torn up windings...

So I got that all cleaned up... and now need to make a gasket and put the whole setup from another engine on there... and I should be back to charging again =)

This also will fix 2 oil leaks!!

Things are looking up =)

Thanx

David

OK!! The casing is on and we are back together... Now to get back to the simplified wiring that I started on... =)

I have my new harness pretty much done... just need to make a couple custom connections.. and then test the wiring... before I wrap it all up into the micro-harness =)

Hope to fire it up tonight for testing =)

David

Back