Another one out of retirement

Onlyalittleexcess

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone , I'm Phil with an XS250 purchased 18 years ago and has been in the shed unstarted since (long story)
Looking forward to reading how to get her going again as a regular commuter and sharing some experiences along the way.

Attachments

• IMG_1120.jpg
    IMG_1120.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 254
Hi everyone , I'm Phil with an XS250 purchased 18 years ago and has been in the shed unstarted since (long story)
Looking forward to reading how to get her going again as a regular commuter and sharing some experiences along the way.
Hi Phil, welcome to the Forum. I was lucky enough to buy one on which the PO had done all the work, so I simply live in fear of gumming something up like on all the bikes which forum members have successfully rescued from "improper storage".
I love to read on here though, and if I may be permitted to summarize: drain everything, clean everything, lube everything before you try anything.
Especially don't try to start it before cleaning the fuel system from tank to carbs and installing an in-line filter first. Too many heart-aches over sucking small bits into nearly clogged orifices and plugging them totally.
Oh and most important, don't boil the carbs in lemon juice on the kitchen stove :eek: unless your wife is away for the day. No kidding, that's on here.
There are good experts on here who will help immensely, but they usually need to be bribed with pictures first. Best of luck.

Hi Phil, welcome to the Forum. I was lucky enough to buy one on which the PO had done all the work, so I simply live in fear of gumming something up like on all the bikes which forum members have successfully rescued from "improper storage".
I love to read on here though, and if I may be permitted to summarize: drain everything, clean everything, lube everything before you try anything.
Especially don't try to start it before cleaning the fuel system from tank to carbs and installing an in-line filter first. Too many heart-aches over sucking small bits into nearly clogged orifices and plugging them totally.
Oh and most important, don't boil the carbs in lemon juice on the kitchen stove :eek: unless your wife is away for the day. No kidding, that's on here.
There are good experts on here who will help immensely, but they usually need to be bribed with pictures first. Best of luck.

Cheers Lou , seems there can be real problems with carbs on these things so I will take your advise on that. Just got to work out how to unchain the wife from the stove.:umm:

"Let the Games begin"
Tried to get the rear brake to work and noticed it seemed dead. Took it apart and realised it was a bit ceased so gave it some lube yesterday and tried to persuade it a bit more today (hammer) and yep...broke it ! I'm nothing if not smart:doh: So now I have one of these. Someone mentioned that if you can’t get an XS one perhaps an SR500 might have the same assembly so I will start the hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_1140[1].jpg
    IMG_1140[1].jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1139[1].jpg
    IMG_1139[1].jpg
    286 KB · Views: 219
... Just got to work out how to unchain the wife from the stove.:umm:
I was going to say, take her for a long ride on the back BEFORE you smooth out the engine vibrations - she will leave the stove willingly. A chicken-and-egg thing, as to do that, you would first have to first boil the carbs in lemon juice. :umm:
Are you from Perth in Scotland or Perth in Aus?
If the latter, you can boil them on the barbie next time you do up some shrimp.
If the former, your wife will probably never leave the house to go out in the rain anyway, so I'm stumped.

someone just posted an alternative to the standard rear M/C. you'll have to search for it though

Back