Are 1978 XS400E mag wheels tube or tubeless?

armyofda12mnkeys

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I am pretty sure i read in this forum that the mag wheels (the one with 7 stars shaped pattern) are NOT tubeless before 1980.
Just wanted to confirm.

Think someone else mentioned you can run tubeless tires, but still need the tubes underneath them.

Whats the consequences of running without tubes in that year's mags? My mechanic said I can run tubeless tires without the tubes and I am hesitant based on stuff I've read here based on that year.

Thanks!,
Ari

On the XS650 mags, some can be run tubeless some can't. They have "SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES" printed right on the wheel.
I can't say for sure about XS400 mags. The Clymer book On the XS650 tell about it, the Clymer's for the XS400 might too.
Leo

hey XSLeo,
see the thing that concerns me is that my mag does NOT have that the "Suitable for Tubeless Tires" like seen here: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showpost.php?p=124662&postcount=5

Yet, my mechanic says I was running tubeless tires when he took them off so it should probably be fine (I trust what he says since he is a good friend).
Guess the previous person ran tubeless my mistake?

So if i go tubeless tires without a tube on a mag that isn't "Suitable for Tubeless Tires", then what are the consequences?
If i dont have any info to go back to him, he'll probably just put tubeless tires on there.
or put my tires on them but don't think they are tubeless (Dunlop K70 Rear Tire and Coker E70P front tire)... But he said he just needs a "stem" to make them work as tubeless?
I dunno, any advice here is appreciated.

Thanks,
Arian

Yep jboyer, pretty sure reading all the stuff on the forums that anything > 80 is tubeless, my question is about < 80 (1978) if anyone can answer my question about consequences of running tubeless on a year designated not tubeless. Kinda concerning I was running tubeless on a year not meant for tubeless.

'78 alloy wheels require tubes. ONLY those wheels that are marked for use with tubeless tires can be run safely without tubes.

Wheels made for tubeless tires have a specific shape to the bead area that locks the tires in. Wheels made for tubes do not. Even if you can get the tires to hold air on the tube-only rims, your tire beads will be prone to having the beads unseat as the tires deform under stress causing a sudden deflation....in the middle of a high-stress lean, most likely. Do the math.

You may run for a long time and have the beads stay seated, but it only takes that one time.

...and yes, you can use "tubeless" tires WITH a tube on these wheels.

k thanks guys. Definately will be putting a tube in!
Can't believe the previous mechanics put in tubeless tires without confirming they can actually accept tubeless. Now I know it was a dangerous situation waiting to happen.

Thanks guys!,
Ari

Back