Battery options...

xs400's are brushless where the 650's have brushes!

Yeah, I meant that they are the same in that they are both basically electromagnets and not permanent magnet type. They both need power to make power.

I don't think it'll make a difference if there are brushes or not as to whether the cig sized battery will work.

If you're really thinking about not using the starter, and really want to get rid of the battery all together, see if you can find a way to convert the charging system to a permanent magnet type charging system. If you can find a permanent magnet rotor (flywheel) from another yamaha that will fit the crank, it should be possible to do.

Yes I believe he is considered to be the pioneer of the conversion for the XS650 using the banshee flywheel. He makes a very nice bracket to mount the stator to the XS650 engine case. He has his own little foundry and machining equipment to make them and they make the conversion very easy. I have one of his brackets for my XS650, but have not used it yet. If he comes up with the solution for the XS400, you know it will be well done and thought out.

That's great to hear guys! Thanks for all of the advice. I'd like to keep the electric start for now, but if nothing pans out with a battery, I may just get rid of it. I will be posting a build thread (or actually a "re-build" thread) in about a week when I get home from work. I have time to do a little research, while I'm working on things like the frame, so I'm going to take my time and think about what I really want to do. Again, thanks for all the help!

Alarm Barttery works GREAT!! No electric start tho. Powerwheels 12v battery's work as well. You dont need electric start. The 400's kick sooooo easy. My wife kicks hers in 2 kicks everytime!!!

Alarm Barttery works GREAT!! No electric start tho. Powerwheels 12v battery's work as well. You dont need electric start. The 400's kick sooooo easy. My wife kicks hers in 2 kicks everytime!!!
Yeah, I can usually kick mine on the first or second, but I would definitely like to keep the electric. I still may end up not running it though. I guess only time will tell. lol

check this out. saw them at the Long Beach IMS. this is the smaller of the two sizes they offer. good CCA and super light too.
152_2_.jpg

positive on left
http://www.shoraipower.com/p-152-lfx14a2-bs12.aspx

positive on right
http://www.shoraipower.com/p-154-lfx14l2-bs12.aspx

Hey, thanks Dorzok! Those look to be a great great alternative.

By the way....Welcome to the Forum!!

welcome to the forum??? isn't it like only two months old. :laugh: i've had my 400 for probably 8 years now and been waiting for this forum to start. been on the old 650 forum for years but never seriously cuz i don't have a 650 (one day). glad to discover this one though.
anyway, back on the battery subject. i have a couple of dirtbikes that are electric start only. i will be using these on them as soon as the funds are available. they're not the smallest but are REALLY light, great for dirtbikes. and the "cranking amps" are aplenty and the same even if it's almost dead.

welcome to the forum??? isn't it like only two months old. :laugh: i've had my 400 for probably 8 years now and been waiting for this forum to start. been on the old 650 forum for years but never seriously cuz i don't have a 650 (one day). glad to discover this one though.
anyway, back on the battery subject. i have a couple of dirtbikes that are electric start only. i will be using these on them as soon as the funds are available. they're not the smallest but are REALLY light, great for dirtbikes. and the "cranking amps" are aplenty and the same even if it's almost dead.
Yeah, it is pretty new.....I know a lot of people came from the 650 forum. Just giving a welcome to everyone.

Would these battery specs work for my bike? I am running the electric start, headlight, tail/brake light, and the tach backlight.

12v 8Ah
Standby Use - voltage regulation = 13.6-13.8V, initial current = 1.2A
Cyclic Use - voltage regulation = 14.5-14.9V, initial current = 2.4A

I'm not real knowledgable on the subject, so this battery may be totally unuseable in my bike, but I can get them FREE, so it's worth a shot asking. They are about half the size of my stock battery.

Would these battery specs work for my bike? I am running the electric start, headlight, tail/brake light, and the tach backlight.

12v 8Ah
Standby Use - voltage regulation = 13.6-13.8V, initial current = 1.2A
Cyclic Use - voltage regulation = 14.5-14.9V, initial current = 2.4A

I'm not real knowledgable on the subject, so this battery may be totally unuseable in my bike, but I can get them FREE, so it's worth a shot asking. They are about half the size of my stock battery.

this might help you decide if those specs are good.
http://www.antigravitybatteries.com/batteryspecs.html

you can see mine in the lower left hand corner of this pic
bikey001.jpg

I got it at batterymart.com. It had plenty of CCA's, was gel, tiny, and I think designed for the DR-Z400 Suzuki dual sport. Under $40 shipped too!!!

Back