Bike lowered idle mid ride, sputters when engine braking

TcGrey

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Just got back from a ride and in the middle the bike went from idling at 2000 rpm to around 1400. it started sputtering from the exhaust when i would let go of the clutch and kind felt like it was having a hard time getting fuel through the lines. are my carbs dirty? It got me home fine without stalling but it felt weak.

The bike should idle at 1200 rpm's. If you have not cleaned the carbs it sound like it's about time:wink2:

Yeah, from some research im thinking that that is the culprit. I'm going to attempt my first carb cleaning. Any advice? or where i can find a manual online?

89? What bike do you have? The xs400's petcock is vacuum operated and fuel should only flow if the motor is running unless it is set to prime.

its an 89 400 maxim. unless it was just left in the lines, i took the hose off and gas was still flowing from it

89 xs400 maxim? The dohc xs400's where only made from 82-84 here in the states. The manual I gave the link for is only for the 77-82 sohc xs400's. The petcock is bad if gas flows when it is set to on and the engine is not running. There should be two hoses on it. One for the carb and one for the air barb on the intake manifold.

yes yes sorry, my other bike is an 89, this one is an 83.

ok so everything is going smooth in taking the lines off and loosening the clamps but I'm having a hard time getting it away from the bike. i can't get it off the boots. any suggestions?

I know the DOHC bikes are a bit of a pain to do this. I don't have one so maybe one of the Dohc bike guys will chime in on that. Or you can search the forum for a thread on this because I know it has been brought up before.

well carbs really weren't too bad, cleaned them anyway. Air filter was pretty bad, trying to figure out if i can wash it or not. i'm not sure what kind it is

Attachments

• Photo on 5-19-14 at 6.14 PM.jpg
    Photo on 5-19-14 at 6.14 PM.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 256
If they are paper you will need to replace them. When you said you cleaned the carbs did you take them completely apart? Just giving them a spray with carb cleaner won't do it.

Back