Bike tries to start when negative cable touches terminal

Juju400

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tried to hook the bike up to my car and no start. Lights didn't even come on. Car was turned off and my bike was seeming like it was trying to turn over when I attached the negative cable to the negative on my bike. I feel like its a charging issue. I'll attempt the rewire from the how to thread and make a couple part swaps starting with the regulator.

Just in case, don't ever jump the bike off a running car. It' can easily damage the bike.

From the title it sounds like the bike tries to start as soon as you touch the cable to the battery? Without pressing the start button? Or is it just having trouble starting?

Jumping straight into a full rewire might be a bit premature. All the components and connections can be tested to narrow down the issue.

yes without touching the start button. Chris said it might be a wiring issue with the solenoid. Or is it a rectifier failure issue?

I wouldn't think the rectifier would be involved. Until the bike is actually running all the power is coming from the DC battery, rather than from the stator via the rectifier.

Something is making an electrical connection that shouldn't be.
Wires could be connected incorrectly. The starter solenoid could have failed, stuck in the "on" position. Damaged wiring could be shorting to ground. Could be as simple as the start button being stuck.
Start with chris's suggestion. Double check the wiring to the solenoid. If the wiring is correct, check the solenoid itself.
It seems a previous member had a solenoid stuck on: http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5337&highlight=starter+relay+test

ok so the start button is can be pushed in so i good on that. Im looking at the solenoid now. I just took a pic of it but I cant figure out how to upload it. Wait ill upload it to my album. The brown wire from the solenoid is connected to the positive terminal however it is directly touching I another "vacuum" i think it called and I feel this is shouldn't be.

No vacuum lines there, just wires. Two big fat ones and probably two/three other ones.
Hard to say without the picture but if the two big wires are making contact you'd see the behavior you're getting.

The wire that goes to the starter needs to go on the other terminal. Look at the pic I sent you.

Attachments

• DSC02963.jpg
    DSC02963.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 241
This is from a different angle. You can see the wire going over the top, and attaching.
Tobie

Attachments

• DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 255
Back