Blinker Issues

t8hoser

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am super new to bikes but love to tinker so this was a perfect bike for me. I bought an 81 xs400 off someone a few months back and it was "fully functional". There had been a lot of modifications done to it but all the basics worked. The previous owner had installed non stock front and rear turn signals as well as a non stock brake light. I decided that it was time to put a different set on so I bought new front turn signals and a new rear brake light that also blinks for rear turn signals. I had to strip a lot of the wiring away since it was a pretty messed up wiring set up (they used a trailer hitch hook up for the rear brake light!).

Long story short, I just finished wiring everything up and everything works with the exceptions of the turn signals blinking. When i switch from right to left on the handle bars the lights will come on (both front and back) but nothing blinks. I am aware that with this model both sets, front and back, need to have working bulbs to flash. I also had the bike running and it still wont blink.

Please help!

Hey guys,

I am super new to bikes but love to tinker so this was a perfect bike for me. I bought an 81 xs400 off someone a few months back and it was "fully functional". There had been a lot of modifications done to it but all the basics worked. The previous owner had installed non stock front and rear turn signals as well as a non stock brake light. I decided that it was time to put a different set on so I bought new front turn signals and a new rear brake light that also blinks for rear turn signals. I had to strip a lot of the wiring away since it was a pretty messed up wiring set up (they used a trailer hitch hook up for the rear brake light!).

Long story short, I just finished wiring everything up and everything works with the exceptions of the turn signals blinking. When i switch from right to left on the handle bars the lights will come on (both front and back) but nothing blinks. I am aware that with this model both sets, front and back, need to have working bulbs to flash. I also had the bike running and it still wont blink.

Please help!

Are these LED bulbs by chance? If so you need a different relay to make them work. If no LEDs maybe the relay is toast ?

If you search out LEDs on here I am sure something will pop up.

Are these LED bulbs by chance? If so you need a different relay to make them work. If no LEDs maybe the relay is toast ?

If you search out LEDs on here I am sure something will pop up.

These are LEDs, however the rear turn signals used to be LEDs but the fronts were not. Is this a resistance issue? I made this change this weekend so I doubt the relay is bad.

I used traditional lights on my bike, but the original blinker relay is not so good anymore. It didnt work for me at first so I tapped it with a wrench and it started working. I bought a smaller automotive relay to replace it with but Im pretty sure the prongs are reversed and I never ended up switching them around. Im saving electrical for this Winter...

These are LEDs, however the rear turn signals used to be LEDs but the fronts were not. Is this a resistance issue? I made this change this weekend so I doubt the relay is bad.

I am sure it is. I would look into a resistor made for LEDs.

thanks for the help! I suck at electrical issues but it seems that most people are in the same boat. However this was one of the reasons I bought this bike was because i figured the electrical would be easy to work on and learn

thanks for the help! I suck at electrical issues but it seems that most people are in the same boat. However this was one of the reasons I bought this bike was because i figured the electrical would be easy to work on and learn

Yep I find it relaxing to work on these things.......at times yes I do bang my head against the wall but.......

I'd just buy a flasher relay meant for LEDs. Adding resistors negates the power saving from switching to LED.

Only downside is losing the auto-canceller function.

I'd just buy a flasher relay meant for LEDs. Adding resistors negates the power saving from switching to LED.

Only downside is losing the auto-canceller function.

Ok I meant what BBS said.......relay, resistor.......hell my mind is toast :D

I had a Jeep years ago and had to get a LED relay when I swapped over to LED bulbs.

Did the dash console get changed? if not your dash turn signal is bleeding over into the other side. The way to check is to pull out that bulb. (if there has been upgraded to a 2 bulb system, then this is not your problem.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-accessories/metric-bike-diode-kit/1190/2805/
This is one option, you could do this yourself. or spend the 2.25 usd.

if that is not the issue, (it was with mine, the led are more sensitive.) I think i bought the relay from here as well.

Back