blue pipes?

Tombo

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am sure this thread will rattle some of us, but I gotta ask...

...are your headers blue?

I was just looking at the Sanglas thread, and the picture of that bike from the magazine has blued pipes!:confused: My understanding is that these double wall pipes should not blue, and bluing indicates that the bike is running too hot. If you flip the pictures on this forum, it seems like half of us are blued, half are not.

What about me? I'm on both teams! I just recently replaced my stock exhaust with another stock exhaust. The old ones were blue,:doh: and clearly overheated at some point(loose baffles, browning/bluing happening near crossover joint). My new ones are bright and shiny like they should be, and helped make my bike run right:bike:

Hey everyone! I am sure this thread will rattle some of us, but I gotta ask... ...are your headers blue? ... My new ones are bright and shiny like they should be, and helped make my bike run right:bike:
Could be worse: :wtf:
:yikes:

Attachments

• Overheated pipes.jpg
    Overheated pipes.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 329
Headers only (mufflers would look a little odd, and be tough to clamp down the ends.)

The exhaust is useable. It's the only aftermarket available for the DOHC, but I'm thinking of building my own eventually.

I changed to a mac 2 into 2 system and the top of the headers (near the engine) blued very quickly but never made its way to the rest of the pipes. I believe this is pretty normal as I've seen many other bikes like this and that the engine is obviously where the pipes get the hottest.

I have to parrot the previous posts. Blueing on your pipes more than a few inches from the exhaust port is definately a lean burning effect. Engines running lean can and often do self destruct with burned pistons scored jugs burnt valves and warped heads. Heat is the enemy here as our engines frequently hit well over 1000 degrees inside. A little extra fuel vapor helps cool the combustion chamber and helps controll detonation. Seems like a number of bikes from the early 80's have this issue since they were assembled with lower emissions in mind.

Back