Bogs down at high speeds

Rak8986

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been answered already but here goes. Today while riding I hopped on the highway to see how my 1980 xs400 did. After about 4 miles going 75mph the bike started to bog down and lose power. After pulling over the bike stalled. After about ten seconds I started it back up and it was still bogging down a bit for about a mile and then was fine. At this point I got off the highway and did about 10 more miles at 55mph and the bike was fine. Most of the driving I do is at 55-60mph range and the bike runs great. I think I need to have the carbs cleaned but is there something else that could be causing the bogging down problem. I was told that my breather on my gas cap could be clogged a little bit and causing it to run lean. Could that be it also?

Any ideas would be great. Thanks again guys

Mine did that once last year when the stations switched to the winter fuel. I tried adding 1/2 a bottle of octane booster just for shiggles, it didn't bog down after that, even without adding the booster during the following fill ups. Sooo it happened and fixed itself...

I will have to try that. I can't rev over 6500 rpm without it bogging down. Really a PITA when entering the freeway! I just refreshed the spark plug connections and new plugs.

Something that is overlooked:

Bad petcocks. It can cause a ton of weird issues. My bike had high RPM issues and would sometimes hesitate at or near WOT. I replaced my petcock and its all good now.

since it's actually really easy to go into your carbs and clean them out, I'd suggest getting it over with. It's really not hard.

Drewcifer

Something that is overlooked:

Bad petcocks. It can cause a ton of weird issues. My bike had high RPM issues and would sometimes hesitate at or near WOT. I replaced my petcock and its all good now.

I just did a carb clean and new jets etc. Petcock seems like the next best bet.

Back