Brat style XS400 build

Mark s

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I posted up last spring about the XS and RD I got a super deal on out of craiglist. Here's the XS when I got it:

Photo0265-1.jpg

Here it is with a 2" stretch on the swingarm, Rebel shocks, lowered the forks on the trees, drag bars, lowered seat pan, and stock tank:

Photo03391.jpg

hey how did you stretch the swing arm and lower thr forks? i would like to do the same.

Lowering the forks is easy... just loosen the bolts that hold the forks in place and slide them up in the triple tree...

I would like to hear about the stretched swingarm as well!!! =)

Peace

David

I cut the arms right in front of the flat stock that holds the rear axle. The tubing is pretty straight right there. Just welded in about a 5 inch innner tube notched to fit inside and added the 2 inch extension piece the same size as the swingarm tubing. I drilled holes in the outer tubing and welded up the holes for strength. Was easier then I thought it would be.

Beauty. That is a nice looking bike. Eventually I'd like to do something similar, but not sure how feasible it would be with a Maxim.

I haven't been on here in a long time, but this winter I have been working on the bike. Lots of polishing and powder coating. I changed the rear seat to make it more comfortable to ride. Still debating on a rear fender and what to do with the gas tank.

F0AF66EF-9E76-4899-AA4E-28047616BAC3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

65880B5F-3905-4277-A4BF-4D57FAB39374.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

E41A4E01-CF2B-4EEC-8957-0BD27BB82C91.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks great! the new seat makes it a lot better looking too. if you decide to go no rear fender i would at least slap on a splash guard to keep dirt and water from beating up ur filters.

Looking really good! My build is similar but without the frame mods and I was able to keep the rear fender stock but built a custom seat to give it a better flow. I fitted a sporty tank to give it a slimmer look. My lighting sucks in my shop, hopefully I will be home before dark tomorrow to post a picture.....fender looks mighty close. I have the same shocks and I only weigh 200 pounds and they don't give much for Rebel 250 shocks.

They are stiff shocks but laying them down as much as I have really softened the ride. I tried to match the graphic on the side of the tank to a sporty tank and its helped to make it appear smaller. Lets see yours!

Didn't get home till after dark again. Hopefully I will get to see it in the daylight tomorrow and post a pic. I like the stretched swing arm. I can see where that will change the stance of the bike a lot with only a couple of inches.

Back