Bratstyle 1982 SECA

Finally bled the brakes. It was the vent port in the MC that was the culprit...It was clogged...And I had to use a very fine needle to make it permeable again. But it works.
I think we have a bad flasher relay cause they will light up but not flash...
Also the headlight only comes on when I hit the high beam button not when I turn the switch, I am pretty sure it should be on as a running light...

Cleaned Up the front end, installed the headlight and those signals and mirrors are awfully big but they have to stay for the bike to be safetied on my neck of the woods
IMG_20170302_201802.jpg

And...Cleaned Up the electrical mess and tucked it all away in the tray you see under the fiberglass seatpan
IMG_20170302_201746.jpg
The battery we used is a Shorai...fires up the engine in seconds...
IMG_20170205_095826.jpg

Lookin good.
I bought the same pegs in silver. Won't be putting them on for a while.

Today we tied Up some odds and ends, installed the tach and Speedo cables on the big ugly gauges.My buddy bought a single combined unit but is in a hurry to get his bike safetied so the rewiring mess is a no-go for now.
I repaired the horn switch which had a faulty ground wire....
Oh and the flasher relay is good finally...just had to be under load,you need both the flashers on the same side for it to activate...
The headlight thing was just a burnt out bulb.
So those are solved.
Installed the chain. Transmission works well...Goes through all 6 gears no problem.

Last edited:
Houston...we have a problem...
We fired it up.Went like a champ,revs really well (not under load mind you)...
But...when going back down to idle..seems to have some sort of a metallic "dinging"....
Hard to say, looks to be coming from the carb/head area...
My first thoughts...cam chain, could it be the tensionner?
The valve train sounds pretty normal (the valves clicking is pretty obvious on these)
I am new to pods, could the carbs (not fully tuned yet,went 147,45make weird sounds when the bikes comes back down to idle?...
The engine was completely cleaned/rebuilt/timed as per manual specs..
I have a feeling I maybe have to look at the head...really like to avoid that.
Any hints appreciated guys.

Yep the valves noise I know....But this is something else my first impression is the timing chain knocking around..?
Happens especially when coming down from Higher revs to idle..

Did you install the cam chain tensioner correctly? It can be installed upside down and won't operate correctly. Should be easy to check with the engine in the bike.

From what I remember..Yes..The tensionner has a special shape and I remember putting it in the right way but had to take it off later for timing...So i'll be checking it tonight...

jeff cool build! im doing something similar except im keeping the mono for the build its a scrambler/brat I wanted to build something street that when summer fishing is good can be taken down gravel roads heres how mines going having charging problems right now...

Attachments

• bike.PNG
    bike.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 287
Did you install the cam chain tensioner correctly? It can be installed upside down and won't operate correctly. Should be easy to check with the engine in the bike.
Once again Dave...You were right...We had removed the tensionner for timing and put it back on upside down:doh:...Si I hang my head on shame...
But on the brighter Side, I put it back on the right way and tada!!...No more funky noises..

After repairing my mistake with the help of the xs400 Jedi 16vgtiDave...We Moved on to installing the rear brake switch, hidden behind the frame with the wires tucked along the frame tubing.
IMG_20170307_201716.jpg
IMG_20170307_201724.jpg

Last edited:
Back