cant adjus the front brakes!!!

leedutcher

xsive to the bone!!!
Reaction score
i got it to where it seems like it cant be tighter.. but everytime i pull the leaver the drum does not want to "spring" back. just stays pulled in... anyone got any input?

try doing this plus how's the cable? does it move freely when unhooked from the brake?

Attachments

• front-wheel-xs400-2e-1978_bigyau0761e-4_b29c.PNG
    front-wheel-xs400-2e-1978_bigyau0761e-4_b29c.PNG
    97.7 KB · Views: 116
You didn't indicate in your post - have you pulled the front brakes apart to clean, lube and check condition of the shoes? If not, I would highly recommend you do so. The freed-up cable may be working ok now but you should know the internal condition of your brakes.

I suspect most folks acquiring these old bikes don't really tear into the brake system, assuming everything is ok if the bike stops when brakes are applied. One of the first things I do with any older vehicle I acquire is to investigate the brake system. Your life depends on it!

When I clean/replace the brakes on a bike,I put a dab of point cam lube on the pivot point,as it doesn't get hot and drip on other parts of the brakes and stays put where it's applied. Need a cable luber,if you don't have one. lha

i lubed them while i hade the brakes apart in the begining of my quest. i bought it with a froze up front wheel...it appart and snaded lightly with 600 grit to free up the shoes. cleaned with brake cleaner and then lubed the moving parts

The springs should have more than enough tension to pull the cable back when you release it... when I did my rear brake I had to loosen the adjustor completely before fitting everything together and adjusted from there, maybe similar issue?

If you don't have a cable oiler,get a cable cover[the rubber thing that covers the adjuster],and put it on upside down and use it as a funnel to hold oil,then move the cable up and down move the oil into the sheath and hang it up with a can under it.This will clean and lube the cable. lha

Back