Carb clean Tool list

xamnay

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi there

I finally moved into a house with a garage a few days ago, so im excited to have a place to work on my first maintenance project for my 80 XS400!

I plan to take the carbs out do a full clean and then hopefully sync them with a homemade manometer.

At this point the only tools that i have are a general motorcycle maintenance book that i have read extensively along with the Haynes XS400 75-84 MOM

I was hoping that you guys could help me put together a tools list that i could bring to the hardware/auto parts shop. Or perhaps an online store. I can shop around for the best deals im just looking for a list to get me started.

Hope you guys can help!

-Yannick

Hey Yannick,how are you? Welcome to the forum.I actually knew a Yannick in High School.I dont know how popular this name is but yer the only other Yannick I have ever heard of!
Okay for starting off,in no particular order..and Im sure other guys will chime in:

Metric socket set
A set of metric box wrenches
Torque wrench
feeler gauges
spark plug gapper tool/feeler gauge
12volt tester light probe or gator clips
#1-#2-#3 philips head screwdriver
various flathead screwdrivers small to large
allen wrenches
multimeter
and much much more

Haha Yeah im the only Yannick I know of LOL

Thank you so much for the Tool list. will start a thread soon on my carb project.

-Yannick

For a carb clean - lemon juice and a stove. Great cheap cleaner.

Or, air compressor and baking soda to soda blast. More expensive, but I'm amazed at how much I do with my air compressor.

Make sure it's only metal - no rubber bits. Boil it when your spouse isn't home - it smells bad, but works really well. Just be prepared to polish any aluminum a bit afterwards with fine grit sandpaper.

cool thanks guys im still gathering some tools so i might have to wait till next weekend. but I'm getting excited to start up the clean.

Take your time. Set up a work station with great lighting. When removing tight screws, use the proper tip (#1-#2-#3) Philips head. You want a snug fit. Also don't force it. Push 'down' as you turn, steady pressure not gorilla,screw shearing power. Like pseudo said use some 'pbblaster' penetrating oil and let it set for a sec. Also if you use carb cleaner- avoid the rubber and plastic pieces and def wear protective glasses. A shot of carb cleaner to the eyes is NOT cool!

thanks for the advice neophite. i'm for sure not going to rush into it. and make sure i have all the tools and space required to get the job done.

Hi guys, I'm just in the midst of taking apart my 81' XS 400 to clean and assess. I've removed the carbs and I'm going to gather all the necessary stuff to try the boiling method this week. Once cleaned they won't be re-attached until the engine gets rebuilt in a few months.

Will the penetrating oil keep the carbs rust free for that long? Are you supposed to cover all parts, inside and out with a light coat of the stuff or only specific parts?

Cheers!

I use a set of JIS screwdrivers for the Phillips. It's a Japanese standard, they are ground slightly different and fit tighter. For the flats I get cheap Harbor Freight screwdrivers which I grind to size. Works well to prevent stripping jets.

I replace the Phillips screws with stainless Allen head screws. Sure makes things easier if you ever have to do go back in.

Back