Carb problem solved

yeah, I always seem to run out of gas within a week of buying a new bike. I have to get a good feel for how the tank feels full, half full, and Not full enough. Guess i could make a fance sight gauge, anyone know how?

This is one reason why maintenance is so important,at least once a year,drain the tank and clean the filters in and on the petcock.I bought 2 petcocks[manual]for my bike and was not surprised to find them clogged with debris and corrosion.The bike that these came from may have been otherwise good,but the owner didn't think to clean the petcock,which wasn't passing gas to the carbs. The addition of an inline filter will give an indication that there's trash in the tank when you notice a dirty condition. lha

Yeah, I have an inline filter, shame on me for not noticing how EMPTY it was and wondering why my bike wouldnt run... However, I will say that the bike runs WAY better now, stronger response throughout the throttle range (esp top end). When my GF showed up with a gas can, It started right up and blew a HUGE cloud of foul smelling blue smoke for about two minutes. Im thinking some crap got flushed out, the gas was new, not sitting in the can.

I did the EXACT same thing on my XS650. However, I thought I seized the engine as quickly as it died. Turned out I was indeed out of gas. I felt like such a tool.

Tell her about the truck load of cuties that stopped and offered to help, and she'll be glad it WAS her that came to your rescue and not someone else... ;)

Back