Carbs and petcock

just go for it, I love the idea of home-made pieces of parts that keep your bike going. What's life without a little bit of adventure, you'll probably meet the nicest and most interesting people if you break down..

Also as these are your carbs, the worst that can happen is that your fuel supply is cut off or you get a fuel overflow. No real danger there, just inconvenience. :)

... The trouble is to find someone with a delicate hand for this project. Lou I'm far from a purist. You'd be surprised at what I've cobbled togather just to make it work. Thing is this is a delicate repair for a ham handed guy like me ...
As long as Heliarc welding isn't more expensive than a whole new set of carbs...
If you can't find anyone to do it without soaking you, then JB-W would be worth a try before just giving up and scrapping the carb.
I repaired a clutch lever with it last summer and it lasted a whole day before finally failing - and that was before I lubed the clutch cable - so it took a fair amount of repeated force first. To strengthen the bond, I drilled a couple of tiny holes at 90º to the break so that the JB-W would go in and form "pins" in addition to bonding on the contact surfaces.
It didn't work on the clutch lever but would have worked on any part that doesn't have shearing force applied.

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I will be visiting with a few folks about this today and with any luck I may be able to post a few pictures of the finished product later tonight.

Wellll got the carb to a small shop a few miles down the road from me. We'll see tomorrow if they'll be able to help me. There is another who some called an artist with heliarc who would be willing if this fails. When I got home I took the other float off gently tapping with a nail set. Success but the float has a rattle. One side has a leak in it. F#@@%%# ethanol gas and typical of my projects. 1 step up and 3 steps back. Any idea where I can find a float? Maybe when I order needles seats a few seals and a petcock kit they'll have something.

Carb is back from welder think I fixed my float. Cleaned the petcock and it works as it should. I hope it at least runs like it did when I first saw it. It's got to wait till next week.

That's 1 of the problems with the weekend shift. The other is while the family is haveing reunions or other events you're stuck in the shop cutting parts. Oh Well that's what we do for the life we lead.

It is trying for me to not come home from work and start working on the bike. But after 13 hrs plus schlepping tons of steel I just don't have it in me. I'm just happy we don't have a call for overtime but the cash would be nice. Oh well better go time to open up the salt mine.

Well we have streams around here where I live that have small quanities of flake gold.Im going to give a shot at doing some gold mining,dont expect to get rich but my days of working with heavy steel are over.

Hmmm Panning for gold?? Might be the closest I get to any increase in income. As far as steel work. I've been in the industry since 1979. But in the past 2-3 years I've been wondering if it's geting close to time to leave. Been takeing longer to recover from my 3 days. Oh well guess it's the price we pay for the life we lead.

Well we have streams around here where I live that have small quanities of flake gold.Im going to give a shot at doing some gold mining,dont expect to get rich but my days of working with heavy steel are over.
As long as you are willing to settle for a silver bullet or 2 on the days when the pan comes up with just sand, sounds like a plan :wink2:

I have a home made sluce box I made you just dump your material in and let the wash from the stream was over it.Then you hope that theres deposits of gold shiny stuff.Its something I have been wanting to try out for a long time.My back cant handle anything heavy its screwed to the point the docs want to put me under the knife.Thats not happening untill I cant get out of bed.:yikes:

Went in to the shop opened up 2.5hrs in got an emergency call to head back home. So I got a day to stay close to wife for health issues. Think I'll work on the bike in the attached garage. Might be able to lite it up and see what shakes out.

Limited success!! Petcock works good carbs are not dripping. It actually did start but running on the left cyl and back fired on the right. Sounded like a small bomb. I'm encouraged enough to take the front tire off & check the brakes. What a mess!!! the brake shoe material seperated from the shoe Guess I'll need to find some shoes. It looked like the front tire was in a swamp. Anyone know if these drums can be turned?

Back