Changing sprokets and chain, '81 xs400

Nicholas

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So I am getting ready to change my rear sprocket, front sprocket, and chain.

Is there anything you guys recommend I look out for/beware of in my search for the parts?

I am going to look at the size of my rear sprocket when I get home, but what are the "standard" sizes for our sprockets?

Also, what should I look for when buying a chain? Thanks.

16/37 is stock sprockets for your bike. Don't buy an o-ring chain they tend to rub on the case and are more than the bike needs. I prefer a nickel plated chain because they wont rust.

Thanks. Do you recommend maybe bumping it up a tooth in the rear to lower highway rpm's or should I just leave it alone? I have also heard it suggested that going down one in front as well. I am not trying to make to many major changes as my bike currently runs well. I'm at 65mph I am running at 6rpm.

Check to see what you have now. At 65 I run about 5500 rpm's. If you want lower rpms you can go up one in the front to 17. I would say 37 is about as small you should go in the back because the bike will work hard going up hills. Remember bigger front sprocket and smaller rear sprockets will lower rpm's.

I can recommend DID chains. I read alot about them, and now have one on my xs: they are the best. Not the cheapest, but the risk with chinese knockoffs is that it breaks and that can cause serious damage to your leg, and more importantly your bike.

My bike had a smaller rear sprocket installed and I put the stock size back on (unintentionally, I was new to the xs). The difference is minor, and honestly I'm not regretting putting the stock size back on. I don't ride alot of high speed long distances anyways, it's more fun on the smaller roads :D and by putting a smaller rear sprocket on you'll hand in acceleration for top speed rpm lowering, and probably a slightly higher top speed in general. Then again, there are many happy xs riders who changed their sprocket ratios :)

I would recommend going 1 tooth up on front and leave 37 teeth on the rear.Its a good gear ration for the model bike you have and a good balance.It will knock some rpms off the top end but not doggy on the low end.I don't live where the terrain is very hilly mostly flat with some small rises in elevation.

Cool. Thanks guys. Well, the rear is 37 and I am assuming the front is 16 or 17. I will probably go with the 17 up front. Have any of you heard any problem's with having room for going one tooth up in the front?

I thought about going for more low end power but decided the opposite.Going to see how this works out so I may end up going the other direction.I do like making my speed runs once in a while.

A little bit of scotch brite and plasti kote works wonders!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 371
Back