Changing to an XS650 neck

Robsteeler66

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
I would believe that would mess up the title for the bike. Seeing that you will be removing the numbers.

I dunno, seems much easier to leave the stock neck alone, and just work with bearing sizes and steering stem modification.

Agreed on both points!

If someone was fabricating a custom frame, that piece may be helpful. But then again, who in their right mind would want to use a stock XS triple on a custom bike? Maybe a custom built retro flat track bike?

If someone is "building" a street bike, they probably don't have the skills required to properly measure, jig, cut or weld the neck of a frame, so this part is not required. It would be just as easy for a "builder" to grind off the serial number before brushing on some flat black paint...

I guess I just don't see much of a market for this part.

Its marketed toward the xs650 builders, but I don't understand why, since they already have xs650 necks. Is it that easy to change to an xs650 fork? And Chris, why would it be a problem? If you have an accident on a bike and a body shop replaces the frame of your bike, they stamp the old Vin on the frame(in a different spot so it's known that its a replacement frame) and they document it with the DMV. I'm sure that as long as the Vin is there you should be alright. Might have to be inspected by your DMV though.

In Ohio, removing the original plate or sticker is a no-no. Once removed, you have just created a custom vehicle that needs inspection, new Vin, and new title. Can be done but gets pricy and sucks dealing with them. They never check anyway though, but I could see it being an issue if sold.

What do you do if you get in an accident? My friend when his Electra Glide was brand new was hit by an old lady when he was sitting at a light. His frame was damaged and was replaced. The shop got a new frame and stamped the VIN in a new location so that it was known to be a replacement frame. Harley was notified(They made the new frame) and the DMV was notified. It didn't cost him anything else.

Some bikes use plates held on with rivets. How the hell would anyone know if you swapped the neck tube and riveted the plate on the new neck? My bike uses a sticker. I don't know what's going to happen if I powder coat my frame. Not sure how that's going to hold up in the oven. I hope Yamaha will issue new ones.

Every state is different in these rules, but if a frame was replaced here in Ohio, it would get a new vin from the manufacturer via application (takes 8 weeks sometimes) and then approved by the State Police. Then it would get retitled by the title agency after everything checks out.

Not many people actually follow these rules, but I'd hate to be caught for it.

I still want to find out about the sticker, because mine is already peeling in the corner. If I powdercoat, the oven will definitely take it off.

Your local title agency will have the answer :)

It is a felony to recreate a VIN tag, FYI, whether or not your intentions are good. Just have the title agency reissue one, the state police will rivet a metal tag in place of the sticker.

I'll ask the DMV. If It was a metal plate I'd do it in a second. There is no way to know, and it's not like I'm running a chop shop. Car places do it all the time when they swap out sheet metal, they transfer the plates to the new sheet metal parts. Never heard of that being illegal. You're not duplicating or defrauding.

The vin is stamped in the neck of the bike. The sticker is not what they will go by. A 20k Harley is not the same as a $400 xs400:wink2: Any major damage to one will total it out and the insurance will just pay out the few hundred for it. Not fix it.

Chris I'm talking about powder coating it. That sticker's gonna fall off in the oven. I was using my friend's bike as an example that you can change a frame or alter it. I didn't see the stamp, only the sticker. If there is a stamping under it, I won't worry about the sticker falling off.

They are all stamped. I would never buy a bike with bad numbers. Or ones that are not factory installed. Remember possession is 9 tenths of the law.

Attachments

• DSC02884.jpg
    DSC02884.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 447
To say that someone who is "building" a bike would not have the skills to measure, jig, and weld the head tube is a bit cheeky. I would have no problems welding that on. A knowledge of basic bike geometry and the proper preparation is all that is required. Just remember a stock car or alcohol drag car is all welded by hand. If someone can weld a car frame together to hold 3000+ hp, why couldn't someone weld a simple head tube on. It's all experience. Jmo

You obviously missed my rant on "builders". I, and many others, now consider that title to be an insult. It has been coopted by hipsters wanting to make a quick buck playing with motorcycles in their friends mothers garage.

"Builders" can't weld, but they can use a grinder and a spray can of flat black paint.
"Builders" can't troubleshoot or repair electrical, but they can pull wires from a harness to lighten it.
"Builders" describe all their commonplace, stereotypical "modifications" as 'bespoke', because it sounds retro yet somehow important.
"Builders" scour google, Pinterest, and Facebook for inspiration and budding trends.
"Builders" install fancy parts so they can throw names around. These parts can also been seen on their next "build", and the one after it.
"Builders" can't shower or shave for a week, or wear clean clothes, but they can pose all day for photos in a dimly lit abandoned warehouse, and get these photos used in "feature" articles on sites like bikeexif.
"Builders" think their latest creation is worth $20k. But the parts of todays custom will end up on their next one, because they like them...

Being a "builder" today is just like being a broke, 20-something year old kid 30 years ago. Only back then, there wasn't an internet or social media where one could hype their dastardly deeds as art.

A truly skilled person who actually builds custom parts and vehicles should probably be referred to as a "fabricator" to avoid confusion. While I do fabricate most of my parts, I am also not delusional enough to consider myself a fabricator, nor do I try to sell my work. I know just how crude my work is.

Back