Cleaning my master cylinder

ksqrly

XS400 Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just tore apart my front brake master cylinder, and there was a lot of nastyshit in the reservoir. The cylinder seems to working. How can I make sure it is working, and was is the best technique/product to clean the lines and reservoir.

Thanks

the lines are cleaned when you bleed the system.

for the plastic reservoir I disconnected and used warm soapy water and dried it out.

So my reservoir is connected to the cyclinder, and its metal. I think. The nasty build up was surprisingly bad. Are you sure shit wont get stuck in the lines. How do I know for sure that my cylinder is good? Or is that something I wont find out until its all back together and I try it?

Sorry for all the questioning your knowledge. I know you are a lot more savy with these bikes than I am. I just like for sure answers before I do something wrong and regret it later.

You can't mess the system up by bleeding it with brake fluid, so there won't be anything to regret. You might have to bleed it a lot though. You can't really dump any harsh cleaners in the system or you'll cause more problems than you'll fix. If the entire system is too far gone it will have to be replaced or the respective part renewed. That is just how brakes are done.

You can tell the system is good once you're done and it is sealed again. If it's bad you'll have a leak and little or no pressure at the lever. The lever, like the brake pedal in your car, should be firm and provide resistance at the end of its travel when the brakes are engaged.

So my reservoir is connected to the cyclinder, and its metal. I think. The nasty build up was surprisingly bad. Are you sure shit wont get stuck in the lines. How do I know for sure that my cylinder is good? Or is that something I wont find out until its all back together and I try it?

ok, i didn't know what version you had.

just bleed the system and see how it feels.

you could strip the caliper and remove the piston and clean the alloy "fluff" that collects and seizes the caliper.

Ya allready did that. All I need to do now is put it all back together and get some fluid.

Back