clutch cable

MrYeats

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Ok so now I want to install the clutch cable to the throwout. Going thru the case, there is a hole where the cable goes thru. What is there, or supposed to be there to connect the cable to?
I have the end connected to the throwout but don' see what holds the cable in place.
Am I missing a part.
Clymers does not show.
model 81 sohc xs400

Last edited:
sohc or dohc, this question will keep getting asked till peeps put the model of bike in their sig or text.

I have an 81. Are you talking about the metal grommet/guide in the picture?
It is loose on my engine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 331
I have an 81. Are you talking about the metal grommet/guide in the picture?
It is loose on my engine.

a GREAT question, but yes the cable holds itself, feed through that metal grommet/guide that just sits there, seems weird, seems like it may pop out, but it doesnt :)

I found a 1/2 inch brass sleeve that fit pretty well and the cable shoulder fit perfectly into the sleeve and I simply drilled a hole in the sleeve and put in a set screw and now it is good to go!

Last edited:
Looks like a good fix.
If your new set-up doesn't position the end of the cable covering as far into the casing as before, you may want to round down the "square" edge on the brass fitting where the cable might rub when under tension - so it moves parallel in a bit of a groove instead of back and forth over a sharper edge.
Maybe a dollop of grease on the inside of the sleeve would be good too?

Yeah Lou, I agree. I think the grease is a must and over time the cable will wear a groove into the soft brass so that should be OK.

Back