Clutch lever question

njcafe84

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
My first gear doesn't seem to engage until my clutch lever is almost completely out. Does this mean I need a new clutch or is there an adjustment somewhere to be made.

The clutch cable is brand new

The clutch is adjusted first at the sprocket housing, then the cable is set to about 2mm at the clutch handle. Check the manuals available for free download on this site.

I have the manual printed out but I am still a little confused about the adjustment on the cover side of the cable. The manual I have doesn't have a picture for this only a brief description. A little more insight detail or pics would help me out immensely

I don't know if the xs400 maxim and other ones are identical.. BUT!

On the maxim you pop off a plastic cover on the side cover and beneath it is a bolt with a nut on it. Inside that bolt is a screw.

To adjust it, you loosen the bolt(you might hear a pop, thats ok as far as I know, its the cable popping loose), and once the bolt is loose you you can adjust the screw. You screw it in until it seats(Just until it seats, you should not need to force or torque it at all). Once it seats you back off a half turn I believe? (180 degrees of the screw). Then you torque the nut back onto the bolt.

Then you take off the side cover, reattach the cable(if it popped lose when loosening the nut) to the spring system and put the side cover back on.

This should set the engine side of the clutch adjustment.

HOWEVER.

It could be that the cable has stretched. If you adjust everything to 'spec' and its still not engaging until very late in the release you may need a new cable.

It only takes a few millimeters to put the clutch out of whack.

Have a quick look as well at the bare cable where it goes into the lever. Do this with the lever pulled all the way in. Mine was frayed down to two wires before I discovered how bad it was. Replacing this cable if necessary is pretty straightforward.

I don't know if the xs400 maxim and other ones are identical.. BUT!

On the maxim you pop off a plastic cover on the side cover and beneath it is a bolt with a nut on it. Inside that bolt is a screw.

To adjust it, you loosen the bolt(you might hear a pop, thats ok as far as I know, its the cable popping loose), and once the bolt is loose you you can adjust the screw. You screw it in until it seats(Just until it seats, you should not need to force or torque it at all). Once it seats you back off a half turn I believe? (180 degrees of the screw). Then you torque the nut back onto the bolt.

Then you take off the side cover, reattach the cable(if it popped lose when loosening the nut) to the spring system and put the side cover back on.

This should set the engine side of the clutch adjustment.

HOWEVER.

It could be that the cable has stretched. If you adjust everything to 'spec' and its still not engaging until very late in the release you may need a new cable.

It only takes a few millimeters to put the clutch out of whack.

same for sohc but 1/4 turn and the cable doesn't pop off.

you need a 10mm box spanner and a philips type driver to adjust the sohc.

loosen the lever end first before, then a 5mm gap after engine side adjustment.

Yup loosen all the way at lever, then do the adjustment at the 'rod' engineside of clutch cable. Then re-adjust at lever.

Wow drewpy is that for real? 5mm at the lever? I am at 3mm. I was wondering about that.
Manual says 2-3 mm but I would listen to you before the manual every time.

same for sohc but 1/4 turn and the cable doesn't pop off.

you need a 10mm box spanner and a philips type driver to adjust the sohc.

loosen the lever end first before, then a 5mm gap after engine side adjustment.

I'm not 100% sure if the DOHC is suppose to pop either, the mechanism could just be frayed and old on mine. I know it did pop off and it hasn't presented an issue yet. 1000 miles or so.

Yup loosen all the way at lever, then do the adjustment at the 'rod' engineside of clutch cable. Then re-adjust at lever.

Wow drewpy is that for real? 5mm at the lever? I am at 3mm. I was wondering about that.
Manual says 2-3 mm but I would listen to you before the manual every time.

i just grabs "earlier" for my style of riding. :bike:

Back