Coils and plug Wires

khales

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I went for a ride the other day and the old girl started having issues. It sounded like it was only firing from one cylinder. I've changed the plugs and checked the carbs. I just went through and tested the coils and both were reading at the correct numbers. However, when i pulled the plug cap for the left side this is what I found. This is the end of the plug wire where it attachs to the plug cap. I'm no mechanic but this doesn't look correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 251
It's a bit stripped, but the old connectors actually just THREADED into, as in like a screw with threads the cut wire itself. So you'd grab the wire, cut it off, and then thread the cap into the wire. Yours is just looking old. They're easy to replace.

Alright. They probably do need to be replaced. Will I need to replace the entire coil and all or would I be able to just replace the wires and caps?

You should be able to just chop off a few mm of that wire and thread the spark plug caps back on for a clean connection.

I measured 7 mm on my oem cable and the xsperformance wire I replaced it with. I replaced my coils with aftermarket ones, however. I am not sure if the oem ones are easily removed from the coil as they have some kind of sealant on the coil side.

Last edited:
standard coils are glued into the coils.

I have done the mod shown on the xs750 site a few years ago but it don't look nice (even though you can't see it)

Back