Compatible lockset

nasiraod

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am new to the motorcycle world, and I apologize if I say anything that's cringe worthy
Anyway, I am very excited to be in this forum :)
I bought a 1983 Yamaha Maxim 400 recently for 200 bucks, and seeing as it is in running condition with 32000km I thought it was a good deal, it's running a bit rough, but I am cleaning the carbs first and then go from there
Now to my absolute first noob question, when I bought the bike, it didn't come with a key, so I am looking to buy a lockset, I found one that's from a 1982 maxim XS 400, and I was wondering whether anyone can tell me if they are compatible(mostly the ignition since the gas cap, and compartment lock look the same)?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Rather than buying a new lockset you could just get a key made for the locks already on your bike. You could take off the ignition or any other part that has a lock on it (I've taken in a whole gas tank before!) and take it to a locksmith and they should be able to make you a new key for a pretty good price. Hope this helps a bit!

Thank you very much guys for the responses :)
I can't use the current ignition cylinder or the gas cap because unfortunately the previous owner jammed a flat screwdriver into them to make them work without a key :(

I will certainly look for that eBay seller, I found a different one that's selling the 1982 for about the same, hence my question :)
Thank you very much

Back