Considering buying an XS400...

Well, seeing it today pretty much made my decision for me...

It definitely doesn't start (might've started with a boost), has lots of rust everywhere, oil is black, small rust spots in the tank, wasn't properly stored for winter (barely any gas in the tank), a few bolts missing, the list goes on...

Simply not worth the money or time needed to get it fixed up.

Thanks for your help guys!

So in other words the pic didnt tell the whole story,must have been taken along time ago.Seems like another craiglist scam to me.
I buddy of mine found a boat on there a couple of weeks ago,the boat looked nice in the pics the guy had posted.My buddy drove 2 hours to go look at and it wasnt even the same boat in the pics.:wtf:
Craigslist has become nothing but a scam artist web site any more!

What is your budget?Thats a nice bike whom the person has spent alot of $ making it to a cafe plus the custom exhaust.Plus it comes with an extra engine too boot.I figure a bike like the 2cnd one you found plus the extra engine would probaly list at $2300 +
I`d say the bike that Lou found would be a good deal.

My budget is below $2500 (after needed repairs + additions), but preferably the lower the better... perhaps I'm ruining it for myself by hearing about all the great deals you guys in the states can get for bikes!

Regarding the cafe bike I posted... although he has definitely done a great deal of work on it, it would still need stuff done to make it legal (mirrors, proper tail lights) and rain worthy (definitely paint and fenders - although I dig the raw look...).

The guy selling it is a red seal motorcycle mechanic, and has done most if not all of the work himself.

Should I bother checking the bike out, given that the expected price might be too high considering I would still have to do work on it? There's always the possibility that he has the fenders and mirrors to re-attach, but I don't know that atm. When I asked him about price, he just said something "reasonable", but mentioned that $3000-$4000 is way too much. He's got too many bikes, and wants to sell one off.

Also: wouldn't those exhaust pipes melt fabric/burn the leg quite a bit? They've only got a little heat shield on them! Would they be noisy too? There doesn't appear to be any sort of muffler.

Also, I agree that the kijiji bike is a good deal/good looking bike, but it's a ways out of Vancouver, and I haven't ridden a bike on highways yet...

After enlarging the pic of the bike I see what you mean about the raw look:yikes:That tank needs work and so does the tail light cover.
The exhaust is wrapped with what lookes to be titanium /crushed lava stone quality wrap so the heat I dont beleive would too much of problem.Over him $1500 and go up a little if you have 2.If he realy needs to sell show him the cash.See if you can get a test ride and feel the bike out..Double check the vin numbers on the title and make sure they match.
As for having the extra parts still around I`d say you got a 50/50 chance the Owner still has theM>
Dont rush into buying anything till you are 100% sure ITS THE BIKE you want.

My budget is below $2500 (after needed repairs + additions), but preferably the lower the better...
I think if you pay more than $1,200 for a small bike that is ready to ride and requires nothing for the first year but oil, filters and gas, you are paying too much.
I'd spend a bit of my budget on travel - and not burn my leg or my wallet.
If you want to spend over $2k, you can get your first and last bike:

Lou when I go shopping for my next bike I want you to come along,You have a nac for finding nice bikes.I wish the site you have was for my area also.:)

Sounds like fun. We can film an episode of American Pickers while we are out looking.

Kijiji is a pretty good site. The scammers do try hard to get on but they have a snitch line icon and staff that actually investigates complaints.

Thats the problem with craigslist there are no moderators or anyone to patrol the site.I beleive if they charge a small fee like $25 a year or something like that the site would be alot better.
They also need to charge dealers like $100. fee and maybe they wouldnt be swamping the site with all the junk they put on there.
Craigslist is also a place of dangerous crime these days.
As for American Pickers they need to share some of their spending $ with us then we could film.

Alright, an update, for those of you who are following along/have helped me out...

I haven't found another xs400 specifically, but am definitely still interested in the bike; also, the 400-and-below-cc-range gets me a decent discount vs higher-cc'd bikes, so that's another reason to go for that.

However, one of my co-workers has gone and screwed up my whole plan of getting a 400-cc bike by offering me his perfect condition, nothing needed, 1981 Honda CX500 Custom for $1000 (or slightly less), and I'm definitely leaning towards that at this point, esp considering what people try to charge for bikes in this town. It's a turnkey bike (and though it's a bit on the heavier side) that seems a good deal/bike for my first. Virtually no rust, either (tiny bit of light surface rust under the rear fender, but that's it.)..

Anyways, I figured I should give you guys an update, as that's likely going to be my first bike. Here's a picture of it:

Z2a39R7.jpg

Oh yes, and right around 30,000 kms on it.

Let me know if you have any tips or things to look out for on it, but my co-worker is meticulous about his things, and wouldn't sell it without knowing it was in fantastic condition.

no tips here, but man that thing is in good shape. I'd say it's a steal if all you say is true. If you don't get it, I'm sure a couple of guys here will want to take it instead.

If you buy the bike if I were you I'd take off the windscreen and the case at the back, just to get maximum feel and nimbleness out of the bike the first few weeks/months you ride it.

I looked at a couple of cx500s and took one for a long test ride this summer. An interesting bike.
Willem has definitely given you good advice if you try it. The one I rode had the full fairing which didn't turn with the forks, the rear trunk and the solid side cases. Even after riding my 400 for 2 years and 15,000 kms, I found it very different, heavy and awkward as well as top heavy. But I think it is a pretty nice ride when it is "naked".
This one could be made naked and I would definitely go that way at first.

I found with the Moto-Guzzi style dideways V-twin and the shaft drive that there was a noticeable torquing to one side under hard acceleration, but one could get used to it like one gets used to the clunking of a chain, I think.

It cruised beautifully though, very stable and with low rpms on the highway. If that's mostly the kind of riding you will be doing it would be a nice choice. If daily rush-hour commuting across the Lions Gate is you goal though, you may want to start on a 400.

Before you conclude that it's a turn-key bike for $1k, check the age of the tires. They could be new or they could be over 10 years old. On one side of each tire, after the DOT number slug, there should be an additional slug with 3 or 4 numbers in it. This gives the week and the year the tire was manufactured. If it's a 3 digit number, then the tires were made in 1999 or earlier. Add $250-300 to your cost.
If the number is 4 digit, the first 2 numbers are the week of the year, the 2nd two are the year - e.g., 3702 = 37th week of 2002 (add $250-300).
Another consideration when buying from a friend (who is kindly selling it to you below market value): if you don't like it, you will kind of be stuck keeping it anyway - unless you outright don't like riding a bike and don't get a replacement.

Here is a blog posting by an owner who had a do-it-yourself approach to maintenance. I would recommend ignoring his homemade cdi units, however, he has reproduced some detailed discussion about maintenance issues which you may find useful.

Seems to be a good deal for what it is and probaly would keep you interested in riding it for a long time.Definately looks like it would make a good cruiser for the hiway and Im sure it has better road stability than the lighter xs400.

Very cool bike, and it looks/sounds to be in good shape. if it's running & complete it sounds like a good deal. I'd buy it, but that's because I love the uniqueness of the style, and I have Project bike in process already, and any reliable motocycle would be nice to have, so feel isn't as important to me right now... How it feels TO YOU is really important though; especially if this is your first and only bike. I have ridden a few different bikes that I would not want to ride regularly, and if they had been my first bike I may not have stuck with it.

If you want a classic, like the feel and styling, and aren't afraid of the possible maintenance issues, it sounds like you may have found your bike!

Back