Customize existing tank for flat tracker look

bennymack

XS400 Member
Reaction score
So, there has been some talk of customizing the stock tank and I was wondering if my idea had any merit. This is something that seems pretty simple but I have no ability to do it on my own. There are at least two local custom shops around that could conceivably get it done for me.

Anyway, I was thinking it would be cool to cut off the "bulges" from the sides of my tank and simply weld flat pieces of metal in their place to hopefully achieve a sort of "XR750" look. Seems conceptually simple enough so I'm not sure if someone has done it already, or if not, why?

do anything you want to do (thin lizzy!)

someone is just keeping the bottom of the tank and fabbing a newtop and sides!

you could always use a bit of kinetic energy to reshape the sides!

"if not, why?"

because its an expensive proposition where it would be cheaper to buy a pre-made tank. i think it would look cool, but better make some bodywork hookups! or find a tank with a similar look of what you want

Hey Bennymack. I'm sure you could do it. If you don't already weld or know someone who will weld it for free it might not be worth it cost wise. If you do go with a flat piece you may want to stiffen it even if you just give it a slight bulge in or out otherwise it will be super easy to dent, you could even have someone run a couple beads down it (bead roller) then fill them (if you want to go the bondo route).

I used a granite surface plate to lay my knee dents out and a height gauge but any decent flat surface would do then just used dividers and and arc template to finish off the design. Mine are basically the exact same side to side. Then just trace your new piece from the inside of the tank with a scriber onto the new flat sheet.

Good luck. Personally I think it would be cool.

Attachments

• P1010459.JPG
    P1010459.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 235
Back