Engine Painting

unleashedlive

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I've got a few questions on this topic. I've never torn in to an engine before, the one on my '79 seems to be running just fine. But I'd like to repaint it, powder coat the whole thing.

Having never taken an engine apart am I getting in over my head? What should I watch out for if I go ahead with it?

I wouldn't be doing the pairing myself, but I'd be doing the tear down and prep. I have a friend who can do the powder coating.

Thus far I've been hesitant to take it apart any farther than the side cover over the chain, am I worrying about nothing?

no, you have legit concerns
a full tear down like this is a big job
have you considered just cleaning and painting the engine?
I have had great success with rattle can engine enamel that has held up for years

My engine killed the cam chain tensioner, so I had to re-build. while rebuilding I decided to gamble that I will get it right, and it would there fore be worth while to powder coat it.

no, you have legit concerns
a full tear down like this is a big job
have you considered just cleaning and painting the engine?
I have had great success with rattle can engine enamel that has held up for years

I want to avoid the look of that ideally. Like I want the bolts to be a different colour (black/chrome) so that it stands out. If I was doing that I guess I could paint it, then replace bolts one by one not opening it up exactly.

My engine killed the cam chain tensioner, so I had to re-build. while rebuilding I decided to gamble that I will get it right, and it would there fore be worth while to powder coat it.

How did you find the tear down and rebuild? Did you have any prior experience?

The Haynes manual is easy enough to follow for teardown and reassembly. Any snags you run into can be answered on here most likely. The free download of the service manual has good info in it as well

On of the first years here, one of the old-timers, posted a complete breakdown, I had blown out my kickstart journal a year or two earlier, and replaced the bottom case. I used the Volcum breakdown (spelling might be off, I just posted on that thread today) Like others who have posted, keep the haynes manual nearby, no one has ever complained that they got the torques settings wrong. Then I have re-posted that Manual
www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14495

Just checked out that thread and that looks like a good help for part of it. I've order the Haynes manual to have on hand, I find it a bit easier looking at book over a screen.

I'll be pulling out the engine this weekend to get a better look at it.

Another option is to pull the motor and just polish it as-is assembled. I know it isn't the same look, but it does look good. Replace the bolts with stainless steel/chrome hex head, etc.

I think the tear down is doable for a beginner, if you're patient and mechanically inclined. Your first time will also take a LOT longer than you might expect.

Another option is to pull the motor and just polish it as-is assembled. I know it isn't the same look, but it does look good. Replace the bolts with stainless steel/chrome hex head, etc.

That's my fallback but intent is really a matte black finish on the engine to go with the rest of the bike.

Just clean the top end real good and paint the jugs with rattle can gloss. You file off or tape off the ends of the fins. It will look nice. Because you're painting in the fins any imperfections won't be obvious.

Something like this:

5DDF8832-0B93-4BD7-89D9-361FEF63A1D8-2183-0000023FA4A19EC3.jpg

Back