Engine running hot. Potential problems?

isigt

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Since I haven't got a vacuum petcock, I just plugged the vent-hole on the boots with a rubber-thingy. When I was out for a ride(pretty long I might add), it came off. I didn't notice until I came to a stop and the bike didn't respond as usual, kept high rpms for a while and then wanted to die on me when idling.

I assumed something was wrong, and that it was running lean but couldn't tell what it was at first. It was running hot as hell because of the lean condition.

I started swearing, I thought i had to tear the carbs apart (away from the garage) and see if anything was wrong with them. Fortunately i found the missing plug (or more like didn't find it) :) after a while and replaced it. The bike went back to normal. Except for one detail.

The thing is I also did an oil-change recently. I have 15w40 diesel oil in. It feels as if the clutch slips sometimes. Could this be because of the engine running hot? or is it more likely to be the oil?

I'm doing another oil change next week to see if it sorts out the problem, putting 20w50 mineral in.

Started this thread mainly because I want to know if there is anything else I should keep my eyes open for regarding the engine running hot for a while? (for more than half an hour) It sounds all right, except for the clutch. But you never know, you know. :)

Cheers

sparks could burn, valves can burn and the piston could hole. but that is only if you are gunning it all the time.

haha, probably not. But better safe than sorry. We get around 26 degrees celsius these days. So no tropical heat. :)

You learn as you go along and this is trial and error for me.
The spec is 20w50 for these bikes. And as I understand it, the 20w50 has a better viscosity than 15w40 and if it causes the clutch to slip, not saying it does, im looking for more friction. Right? It could also be that the clutch plates are fucked. Which I hope not.

Back