first custom build 81 xs400 special 2

xskane

zach
Reaction score
Hello i am new to customizing bikes, i have riden my whole life i picked up this xs 400 for $120 bucks...they said it was blown up..i cleaned the carbs and low and behold she fired...however i do not like the vintage look of it..i want something cleaner that flows better.... lower in the front and rear... custom seat..relocate front fender to rear...any ideas on rear shocks and how to convert it to kick start only with a key... i want minimal wireing and would like to looose the battery altogether...

I am told by the experts that these bikes must have a battery to function due to the type of alternator found in them. If you only use the kick start, however, you can probably get away with a pretty small battery. If you're making a custom seat you can also just hide it in there.

Oh, and welcome. Post up some photos!

Welcome xskane! Let's see some pics of your new bike! Congrats on the price man, sounds like you got a steal!

Let's see if I can help out a little too.....

1) Lowering - Check out this link for a little info on lowering the front
forks.http://www.xs400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4553

2) Shorter shocks - The Honda Rebel 250 shocks will bolt up with minimal mods. I believe they are around 2in. shorter than stock shocks.

3) Kiskstart only - Converting to kickstart is simple...just remove the starter.

4) Wiring - There are many diagrams available to you right on this site for minimal wiring needs. Just do a quick search.

5) Battery - As bcware already mentioned, running without a battery is damn close to impossible, but it can be done. You will have to do the Banshee charging system mod to switch to a permanent magnet style set-up. It has been done, but only a few people have done it. Perform a quick search here, and you should find what you need. If running kickstart only, you can use a much smaller battery, and again, as bcware mentioned, you can find multiple places to hide it on your build.

Good luck man! Let's see some pics!!!
#

Back