First time going from Vancouver to Banff. Suggestions??

Domo

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So, after a summers worth of tinkering on my bike, I finally got it running to a point that Im ready to take'r on a road trip. Never too late!

So my plan is to leave Vancouver early afternoon Friday, make it to revelstoke on my first day, then Banff early Saturday morning. Leave Sunday, back in Vancouver Monday afternoon. Quick trip. I just need to get it out of my system before winter. :bike:

So, that being said, I've never done a ride longer than 3-4 hours, and only one over nighter (but it was on my DRZ). Im looking for ANY tips. Pre trip check lists, including gear, tools, what I should do to the bike (ie, oil change) and any suggestions the community has to offer.

My basic gear I was planning on bringing: Boots, Jeans, leather jacket, scarf, gloves, and thermal base layers. The weather is looking pretty good, but Im bringing some rain gear anyway as thats what most people have mentioned so far.

ANY thing else I should know, do, or buy, before I head out?

Great start! Anything specific in the tool kit I should be bringing? I could always just grab my OEM DRZ tool kit, and add a few more items to it. I have a BCAA membership so Im not toooo worried about the need to fix flats on the road.

Anything else?

mobile phone, little bit of oil to top up if necessary.

petrol filter from tank to carb. water proof the electrics with WD40 or such

change oil/filter before trip the rest has already been said

What about the change in altitude from Sea level to 1,480 m and the pass's in between? Do I need to know how to tinker with my carb for these changes in air pressure?

What about the change in altitude from Sea level to 1,480 m and the pass's in between? Do I need to know how to tinker with my carb for these changes in air pressure?

you can always enrichen the pilot a bit, just don't use WOT for long periods and be sensitive to the engine's heat.

Damn! I just missed this post.
You have probably already left. If not plan to stop at Sorrento just before Salmon Arm. There is a motorcycle museum there called Dreamcycle. We stopped by a couple of weeks ago and it was really good. An old board track racer, Goldstar, several really old British bikes including a Royal Enfield V twin I have never even seen before, several Ducatis, a Laverda. Oh and if you like japanese bikes he has a couple early 70 Yamaha TZ's. Probably 20 or so bikes in all. It also has a cafe attached to it as well as a gift shop with a small theater that was showing old Isle of Mann videos. It was a pretty cool place but i had to remind myself that the wife was outside with the dog so....I couldn't let myself get too lost.

Back