Fixing up my gas tank

Sean Shameless

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So like a lot of my bike my fuel tank is throwing me a couple curve balls.
-My petcock doesn't stop the flow to the tank but it looks like it's been epoxied in place.
There's no reserve filter in the tank.
To work around it I'm just going to add an inline fuel filter and petcock. I know I won't have a fuel reserve.
It looks like someone forced the lock off this tank at some point and it was modified to accommodate a different cap.
The cap works fairly well but there is a number of holes which just had screws in them to "plug" them.
There's also two holes in the collar (in the one pic). They look intentional but I assume I should plug them, no?
I'm going to use a gas tank repair kit like this.
https://m.canadiantire.ca/#/product...tCode=0383704P&selectedSku=0383704&quantity=1

Then I plan on cleaning out the inside (bought 15 liters of vinager).

Then I plan on stripping and painting it basically using this guide.
https://axleaddict.com/motorcycles/How-To-Re-Paint-A-Motorcycle-Gas-Tank

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
I know it will likely look pretty amateur but I'm at peace with that.
Thanks in advance, you're advice is priceless to me!

Look for another tank!!!

I've been considering it except it's seems I'm either going to pay a good chunk of change or end up with another tank that needs work.
Part of my decision to consider saving it is just the practice of doing it. It would be my first paint job of that type etc. so it'll likely be rough either way. Good practice maybe.

Lots of good used ones on ebay. A good gas tank is one thing you don't want to cheap out on. The other is brakes/tires. ;) With some of the things I have seen on your bike I would go over the entire thing very carefully. Welds, bolt torques, fluids etc... It looks like the last owner had no clue on anything.

That tank is not safe..

Get a couple of hammers and practice your fabbing skills. Make some knee dents or something.

Lots of good used ones on ebay. A good gas tank is one thing you don't want to cheap out on. The other is brakes/tires. ;) With some of the things I have seen on your bike I would go over the entire thing very carefully. Welds, bolt torques, fluids etc... It looks like the last owner had no clue on anything.

Yeah, there's been a pile of bad calls and shortcuts that went into this bike. Lots to do!
Looks like I should start saving my pennies and hunting for a decent deal on a tank.

F..k this mess of a tank, it is a paperweight at best. I bought two tanks in very good shape off of eBay for 100$ CAD each. Just keep looking and good luck...

F..k this mess of a tank, it is a paperweight at best. I bought two tanks in very good shape off of eBay for 100$ CAD each. Just keep looking and good luck...
Yeah, I'm on the hunt.
I'd be happy to find something decent for $100.
I'll keep my eye open.
Glad to hear there's good deals out there.

Yep, I got two xs special 1982 tanks 100$ each...in very good shape.It is off of each Bay the guy had a kz440 tank also for about 100$ shipped from Montreal...so check ebay and filter by closest. That'said how I got mine.

I have a tank I'd be willing to part with for a reasonable price. It's not fantastic, but it's in fairly good shape and is rust free. Petcock and gas cap included. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Well I went to a motorcycle salvage yard and picked up a new used tank this morning.
Clean inside, no leaks, no dents. A little surface rust but will clean up well.
$130 tested with petcock but without the cap.
Thanks for the advice all!

Back