front fender

uglyduckling

uglyduckling
Reaction score
Ok so you guys REALLY seem to know your stuff. heres my delima.
My xs is well lets just say its not quite a shiny as his cousins.... It is time for it to evole into a beautiful swan..lol
My front fender is really messed it has two cracks on both sides just in front of the forks. I was going to have a friend weld them and then re-chromed. However someone told me that a 400rd is the same fender. the Yamaha code is 1A0-21510-02-93. It is a backorder item but its only 200. bucks much cheaper then re - chrome. Can you guys help me?
Thanks

I should mention also that I have been hanging out at swap meets and whenever one comes up here for sale i always miss it. I ve been to a few 'grave sites' but they are either stripped down or wrong engine code . the fender seems differnt bolting pattern.i had a quote to re-chrome for 400 bucks.

I almost cry when you guys are hacking them down for one reason or another. The sad thing thing is the fender is in great shape except for the cracks. I may get the welding done anyway and just hang a bag there or something...

I cut one for my 80 but it was beat up and I only paid like $20 for it off of ebay.

Last edited:
After you get it welded why not get it painted or paint it yourself? I mean sure, chrome is sexy, but a nice paint job can be just as good. Or powder coating might be an option for you. My stock fender has cracks in it also, must be a common problem.

Fender cracks seem to be a design flaw in the XS400. In an effort to make the front fender look light and uncluttered the designers omitted the braces and extended brackets that prevent this type of metal-fatigue cracks on other bikes. I've done a lot of looking online and most used XS fenders have cracks just outside of the bolt brackets. One of mine has cracks, the other doesn't. Billions of little flexings take their toll. Welding and re-chrome or paint may be only a temporary cure without more bracing - but then all repairs are temporary.

Ok so you guys REALLY seem to know your stuff. heres my delima.
My xs is well lets just say its not quite a shiny as his cousins.... It is time for it to evole into a beautiful swan..lol
My front fender is really messed it has two cracks on both sides just in front of the forks. I was going to have a friend weld them and then re-chromed. However someone told me that a 400rd is the same fender. the Yamaha code is 1A0-21510-02-93. It is a backorder item but its only 200. bucks much cheaper then re - chrome. Can you guys help me?
Thanks

West eagle sells one for an sr500, not sure if it fits,but they share a few common front end parts.not stock,though.it is a little smaller

West eagle sells one for an sr500, not sure if it fits,but they share a few common front end parts.not stock,though.it is a little smaller

Sr's are 19" wheels and IMHO don't look right as they don't follow the tyre correctly

I think my front fender is in the wrong place.:doh: And i dont have a rear fender. The guy i got it from hacked the front to make it the rear. I was also told its a 78. Its not. Vin 2A2... 77 xs400d. From what ive heard this bike is a more sought after bike. But i could be wrong

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• _facebook_-1579584154_.jpg
    _facebook_-1579584154_.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 382
I have the same cracks. I found a defender for sale but its off a 650.The owner says it will fit. The parts manual have different munbers, I wanted to run it past you guys first, will it fit?

No, it will not. I have had both bikes in the past, they are not the same.

Back