Fuel level xs 400 dohc

overpl

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
So when i looked up @ internet i saw that to check fuel level in carbs you need to attach clear hose to drain plug but it seems that i have rather drain HOLE not a plug - is it normal? Should i just attach hose and unscrew drain??

Insert clear tube into drain hole on float bowl, then open the drain screw about 1 turn. With petcock in pri or res position, fuel will flow into the tube. I mark 2 lines on the tube 3mm apart. The top line is held level with the gasket surface on the carb body, and the lower line is the desired fuel level. Don't get fooled by the surface tension of the fuel in the tube, not the fuel level in the center of the tube.

But when i put 6mm tube (overall size) it pops out very easy from HOLE and when i tru to put 7mm it wont fit:///

And after i think so so try with 6mm it shows that i have sth like 5-6 or more but my sparks are black and it consumes 7l/100km.. I must did sth wrong.. I now write from phone so i cant add photos:/

You have to get the float levels correct before you can do any tuning. Don't fixate on the symptoms (poor economy, black spark plugs), correct the problems as you find them!

I just wrote that float level was too high for sure and method of fuel level either im doing wrong or its not sealed with this tube 6mm.. I dont know it is impossible that now its to low (fuel level)

So i took some photos - according to these my fuel level is either too low or right.

When I moved tube closer (verticaly) to the right edge right above the drain hole - it showed too low - when on center little bit low or even, when on right - about even or maybe 1mm to much.

On the right side it was strange because it started to rock up to tank level ;] then my tube fall down and I gave up.. float levels are equal in both so for now i assume that fuel level also.

nevertheless I checked spark plugs again - photos attached also - they are black.. So what the hell :/

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1721.jpg
    IMG_1721.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1723.jpg
    IMG_1723.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1714.jpg
    IMG_1714.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_1710.jpg
    IMG_1710.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 205
I wasn't sure what you are doing with the clear tubes until I rotated the photos - lol.
If the level changes when you move the tubes around, it could be that the petcock is sealing properly and not allowing any more fuel to flow into the carb - even though by moving the clear tube one way, you are increasing the volume available to be filled.
Maybe when you do this you could turn the petcock to PRI. That should allow more fuel to flow down and then it should seek the same level. Should it not?

Back