Gear shifter not work, a bit too hard with the hammer

HappySpottedCow

XS400 Member
Reaction score
I have been putting back together my 1980 XS400 after taking it down to the frame to clean it up and rebuild it. The bike has been coming along fine until today when I got real stupid and used a rubber mallet to tap on the gear shift level. This caused the shifting shaft to move in about 1/4 to a 1/2 inch. The "E" clip came off and I bent the retaining washer. I pulled the shaft back out and flattened out the E clip and washer, but the shift will not change the gears. Yes, I have spun the rear wheel and kicked over the engine so I could shift, but it will not shift. The shift left will not go down and going up does not not change the gears. Is this something that could be fixed by removing the right side case and seeing what I broke on that side, or does this sound like something that I will need to split the crankcase over?

Yep, I know I messed up. I really don't want to have to split the case. Other than that things have gone quite well with the bike and I am really looking forward to riding it.

Last edited:
I popped off the right hand side cover and took the E clip off from the left hand side. I can push the gearchange shaft (the name used in the Haynes manual) in and position it over the gear selector arm roller and then shifting is working again. Looking at the pictures in the manual it appears that the E clip is the only thing that prevents the shaft from sliding in and out. I can't see any other retaining device that holds the shaft in place. Am I missing anything? Other than to not use a hammer again :)

Thanks for confirming this.

This is my first bike rebuild. The bike was rusty junk and had a salvage title when I got it. It has been stripped down to the frame and I am now in the process of putting it back together. I will post pictures of the build when I get it done. I made a few changes to make it look better. I am excited to ride it as it is over 300 pounds lighter than my other bike.

Thanks again for confirming about the E clip.

When Installing a thing on a spline like the shifter or kick start, remove the bolt, with it laying on it's side drive a flat screwdriver in the gap. This spreads it open. With the screwdriver still in place slide the shifter on the shaft.
Remove the screwdriver, install bolt.
You can use this same trick, if carefull, to remove the shifter.
Leo

Back