Got it done :) but still something's wrong

szczepan_osw

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a new owner of 1980 XS 400 (4g5) from Poland. I'm called Chris:) With the help of this great site I managed to build a cafe racer from the rubbish I bought a few months ago - hope you like it:) At the beginning I had a lot of problems with electrical system, engine and carbs but fortunately I solved most of them reading your posts. My caf runs well and I don't have any problems to start it. However, I think it runs too rich because the spark plugs are sooted up on the left and right hand side. I've changed the main jet from 125 to 145 and the pilot jet to 45 (clip position 4, idle mix screws 3,5 turns out) because I have pod filters and megaphone mufflers :) How should it be adjusted? Do I have to change the jets or do sth with idle mix screws?
What's more, when I accelerate, white smoke comes from the left muffler and I've noticed that there's a lot of kind of oil gunge in the left muffler. What can be wrong? any ideas?
Here are the pics of the muffler and my ride :)
Cheers mates:)

Attachments

• 20120528958.jpg
    20120528958.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 20120521918.jpg
    20120521918.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 268
  • 20120521927.jpg
    20120521927.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 240
  • 20120521949.jpg
    20120521949.jpg
    311.3 KB · Views: 253
  • 20120521936.jpg
    20120521936.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 259
  • 20120521945.jpg
    20120521945.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
The amount of "wet" present seems too much from just running rich. I'd suspect either valve seals or rings. Do a compression/leakdown test to check out the rings. IF its not the rings is seems reasonable it is the valve seals.

Bike looks great!

Have you noticed if the bike is using oil? Maybe do a compression test, if you haven't already. It could be the rings have seen better days and you're burning some oil.

welcome to the forum szczepan

white smoke is too ricj, try lowering the floats to weaken the mix (try 25mm)

Thanks guys :)
I have not done a compression test yet but I'll try to do it asap.
Last week I ran over 200 kilometers and I lost about 300 milliliters of oil (10 fl oz(US) so pretty much :(
thanks drewpy for the tip :)

Cześc Chris, dzień dobry.

I will tell my dad I have "met" another Polski Motocyklista. He is 97 and had a Royal Enfield before WWII. He is an engineer and would appreciate your fine work - as do I (a non-engineer).

If you are as good a mechanic as you are sculptor, she won't be burning oil or smoking for long. Best of luck!

Attachments

• P-S Hybrid.JPG
    P-S Hybrid.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 199
Have the carbs been synched? I am always suspect of emgo pods directly on the carbs.

Cześc Chris, dzień dobry.

I will tell my dad I have "met" another Polski Motocyklista. He is 97 and had a Royal Enfield before WWII. He is an engineer and would appreciate your fine work - as do I (a non-engineer).

If you are as good a mechanic as you are sculptor, she won't be burning oil or smoking for long. Best of luck!

Dzień dobry:) it's nice to hear a bit polish here :) say hello to your dad and wish him dwieście lat!

I haven't done much because of lack of time but the compression test was good. I have 140 psi on both sides :thumbsup:

the carbs have been synched and this weekend I'm gonna check valves clearance and the float level (and lower it to 25 mm).

I need to read more about vale seals and do some repair. Do you think I can wait with it till winter?

ps what's henderson tattoo?:confused: ;)

Dzień dobry:) it's nice to hear a bit polish here :) say hello to your dad and wish him dwieście lat!
ps what's henderson tattoo?:confused: ;)
Will do. If you ever come across the 1937 Royal Enfield which Hitler stole in Sept of 1939, let me know.

chkm8 (Henderson/McPherson) has the "Rampant Lion" tattooed to his forehead (or somewhere). It be the Scottish equivalent of the Polish Eagle.

I am a hybrid, and like to think that it is because of this that I have such "hybrid vigour".

Attachments

• P + S = Can.JPG
    P + S = Can.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 197
Back