Got my chain!

dburrows6735

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got my chain today, still waiting on the manual I bought. I went with DID, after som research they seemed to be the best for the money. I really want to get the chain on so I can get out a few more times. Any hints or tips on changing out the chain seeing I don’t have a manual. Whats easiest way to throw it on? Do I have to be cautious of the cam sprocket spinning with no chain... basically any dumb and or simple things I may miss while putting it on.

Thanks guys and girls!

David

OK...but the manual in the first post, not that starts in the second, but the first post- covers through '81.

Here's how to change the chain- take the master link off, remove old chain, loosen up the rear axle adjuster, put the new chain on and tighten the axle adjusters to the proper amount of slack. A center stand help, if you have one.

I think he's trying to replace the cam chain.. To get the cam timing set after removing the cam and chain, the left piston should be at TDC so you might as well get it there to start so you can see how the marks line up on the cam when the crank is in the correct position.. Are you going to try to do it without removing or rotating the cam?

Well that makes more sense....I still suggest the factory manual.

...boy, I must have been out of it last night.

Last edited:
When you go to install the new one, be careful with the tensioner: you want to keep it oriented properly and reset the tension repeatedly (look for a recessed lever you access from the rear of the module) while fastening it. I failed to do this my first time and ended up with bolts that were strained to failure (like the "necking" during a tensile test).

Back