Hard starting when warm.

JonathanSShaw21

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
:yikes:So i have a 1977 XS 360... ive recently put two carb kits in. I also installed new intake boots. One coil wire was bad leading to the spark plug so i replaced... When I do get it to run its usually off a cold start and races the engine until i tune idle screw so it comes down... I do think the spring in the float needle diaphragm on top of carb are a bit weak... the firs time i had it apart one was longer then the other so i cut the long one to match the short... sooo.... the thing will fire run and once its warm I have a hell of a time getting it to start after it shut off... is there a repeat offender here that i can look for... Im going to look at the points in the morning... KICK START ONLY... MY FOOT HURTS. Help me out here

Most likely tight valve clearances. When the engine is cold the valves might be making a good seal, but once the metal warms up it can actually cause the valves to stay open slightly resulting in low compression. Hence way it won't start when warm. Happened to me before, I immediately check the valves/adjust and the problem is solved.

Well i figured it out... I'm not sure why I am so dumb. Ive been doing this stuff everyday for ten years... I over looked the points. Right cyl was closed on right cyl TDC. both suppose to be open to .014 n then checked valves. They were all very close to spec i think it .003 exhaust .007 intake. Seems fine now starts right up runs n goes good.

Back