Hello from Poland

Polihistor

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody!
I'm Piotr. I come from Poland. I found this forum when rebuilding my XS400SE, which I bought 7 years ago (and dind't have time to fix it).
But finally I decided that I'll do it! For last few weeks I was fixing small parts. I took 3 days off work & I've asembled it together :D Now just waiting for painting job (should be ready end of the week), get registering plates & on the road!
Will put some pics later...
Greetings from Poland! :D

Cześć!
If it will be easier - you can call me Pete ;)

I had to change diaphgrams in the carbs, fix wiring (new PCV tubes, retaped), fix switches (e.g. make new start button of hard wood :D ), paint some details (like switches housings, battery holder, metal support of plate & turn lights holder, front brake), change back brake pads etc. Of course oil filter and all fluids were exchanged. Fuel tank was cleaned inside as well (a lot of rust). I've changed both tubes as well.

Ok, photo from Tuesday morning:

s800

And here goes from Thursday afternoon:

s800

It was 2 weeks ago. Now front caliper is already fixed (had problem to get sealing kit for fi38mm piston - ordered from UK). Fuel tank plus plastic air filter covers are waiting for black pearl paint and some silver labels. :D

Thanks. Some small works will be still needed (e.g. cleaning or exchanging some rusted screws, some polishing on old chromes). But I am quite happy of the result already. :D
Since "teardown" was made 7 years ago, I can't remember where should go one part :confused:
Kind of flat copper braided grounding wire, maybe 10 cm length, with O ferrules on both ends. Any hint? My thought is maybe somewhere between frame & fork, but I'm not sure...

Second thing - how to get rid of old lock from the frame head? Of course the key is missing so I have to replace it somehow... :(

Grounding wire: I would guess it is the wire between the Cylinder head and the frame (condenser mounting screw).

Lock: I heard it is possible to drill it out. The material is not very hard. But I never had to try.

I don't like the seat - it was rebuilded (changed leather cover) by previous owner. For me it looks like a rotten cucumber :thumbsdown: Maybe I'll look later for new one, or try to get original cover (hope he didn't destroy foam inside).

I don't like the seat - it was rebuilded (changed leather cover) by previous owner. For me it looks like a rotten cucumber :thumbsdown: Maybe I'll look later for new one, or try to get original cover (hope he didn't destroy foam inside).

You could try nipping a couple of seams into the rear upper corners to give it more shape. You're right though, it looks a bit lumpy.

I've asked here. See how much it will cost & what dates are possible. Probably will do it during winter... Cause NOW I can't waiting when geting plates & ride! :bike:

Painting is still not ready :er: I'm supposed to get items ready within two hours - can't wait to see result!
Today I have synchronised carbs - pipe method :wink2:
And exchanged foam in air filters. Old ones were veeery "gummy".
I have problems with precise regulation - engine does not react immediately when I close throttles. It goes down very slowly. Any hint what have influence on this?

Diaphgrams are completely new.
I have done small research on this forum & got another suspection - rather some air leaks. My connectors between engine & carbs are old (with lots of cracks) - there might be some holes there. I have ordered new ones. I'll reclean carbs as well (once again, this time following instructions step-by-step not to ommit any important hole).
BTW - any of you have ever exchanged those connectors with choked air flow into fully open ones? I have a version with less HP than "open engine" - one thing is probobly different timing gear rollers, but choked mixture flow also steals some HP. Is the difference noticeable after exchanging carb connectors?

Back