Help! 1980 XS400 or 2015 SR400

Allissa Subasavage

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! New user here. I've asked this question to most of my social media friends and none of them can really give me any insight. I'm a new rider, less than 120lbs, and am looking for a small little bike I can custom to a brat tracker style. I've been looking at the SR for the convenience of new, guaranteed, and general safety of the motorcycle--but do I really want to pay that hefty amount for it? On the other hand... I can't help but go back to the older bikes. I found this 1980 XS400 on Craigslist for a decent price I think. I haven't checked it out in person yet, but looks like it could be a fun project. Haven't built anything really, but am open to reading and open to getting my hands dirty. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm excited to get on the road. :D ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425130801.117742.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425130823.047099.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425130832.129512.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425130838.732682.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1425130847.187355.jpg

Looking to build something like the last photo. The others are the CL posting.

Thank you!
-Allissa

That XS seems like a good deal, so long as the owner can get it running to prove to you that it works. Drive it before you buy it! The starter button is an easy fix, and I think all of our motors leak a little somewhere, so not a big deal.

Hey welcome Allissa, when you say you are a new rider does that mean you've never ridden? If so I'd suggest a good introductory weekend school would be a smart investment (my wife attended one and she enjoyed it). As far as what bike to get it depends entirely on what you really want and how dirty you want to get your hands. Be advised: it seems to (always) be the case that your first bike will somehow find its way to the ground and earn its share of scratches and dings and broken turn signals. Hopefully you will not get scratched or dinged too. But the learning curve of motorcycles seems to support this.

Older bikes typically need more attention and maintenance but can be very reliable if taken care of properly. If XS400s float your boat there's a wealth of information here to help. FYI if you feel like you don't want to be bothered to learn the mechanics of working on the bike it may be difficult to find a good/honest mechanic to do the work for you. Most dealership service departments don't want to touch old bikes, I know, I worked in one.

The new SR400 has fuel injection and aside from having to kick start it should be a reliable and fun mount. If you go for the XS400 be prepared to spend money on parts that need replacing. I love working on mine and it's absolutely within a regular person's abilities to learn basic mechanical knowledge. There is no replacement for experience and that is something motorcycles offer in spades!

Best of luck and enjoy.:thumbsup:

Thank you both! New to riding = ridden on the back plenty, but finally took the weekend class and have my license. I figure the bike will be first of many, hence not being too worried of getting my hands dirty. But.. Wasn't sure if concentrating on riding was better than concentrating on fixing one. Or maybe it really doesn't matter and they go hand in hand.

Cool, for me knowing all the parts of the bike on an intimate basis gives me greater satisfaction when I ride. And if something crops up (a noise, tightness or loose rattle) I can delve in and figure it out which feels great.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info here. Just use the search function:)

So... $800 and she's all mine. Crank case was full of fuel and battery dead. Charged battery and now on the hunt for oil. Stupid question, manual says 20w40 SE, why can't I find this anywhere? What does everyone else use? ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427041275.672900.jpg

As per some forum recommendations, I am using Rotella T 'triple protection' heavy duty diesel oil 15W40. It is safe for motorcycle use (no clutch slipping additives), inexpensive, and easy to find.

Congrats on the purchase, let the bobber build commence!

Welcome to the forum.
As long as you make sure that the oil has the "MA" rating (for motorcycle wet clutches), you will be fine.
A very popular oil (and the one I usually use too) is SHELL RotellaT Triple, 15W40 diesel oil.
N.B. - but NOT Rotella T-3

Attachments

• RotellaT Triple.jpg
    RotellaT Triple.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I have used both of them with good results. They both are sold a walmart. The Valvoline is around $3.50 a quart and the Castrol is around $5. I would stick with a 20w-50 for the sohc xs400 as the lighter oil will make the motor a lot more noisy. Even more so in the summer. Make sure to drain the sump out to.

Attachments

• DSC02898.jpg
    DSC02898.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC02899.jpg
    DSC02899.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 114
Congrats, sweet looking little bike! I just got my very first bike a couple weeks ago ('83 Maxim 400) and have absolutely loved working on it.. nothing too heavy-duty, but there's definitely a certain amount of pride in getting your own bike into top form.

Yep. It's intimidating at first, but once you get your hands dirty it seems pretty easy to figure out. Definitely happy I didn't go with a newer one. Paid off, not too scared to drop it, and a labor of love.

Back