Help a dumb guy?

SussexSlammer

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Since I'm dropping my frame off at the welders tomorrow morning, I figured it'd be a good time to try and iron out some of my pre-build head scratchers. This is my first attempt at building a motorcycle, and I'm a bit of an idiot. So here goes nothing.

I purchased a tank off this forum a while back, I believe it's an early 400 tank but I'm not 100% on that. Would it be possible to swap the gas cap and petcock over from my 81 tank? And does anybody have any opinions on the petcock rebuild kits cheap bay sells?

IMG_3065.JPG

Why do these look so weird? To me the taper of the pads looks crazy. But.. then again.. idiot here so it could be my imagination.

IMG_3069.JPG

Is it okay to use button heads on brake rotors? I have a friend that uses them as sprocket bolts on his wr250 and I feel that sees a lot more abuse. Also, loctite? Red, blue, none? And could they be stainless? They're pretty...

IMG_3058.JPG

I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions coming up... sorry

For the button heads, my opinion is that it ok as long as you use the right size/grade bolt. You do NOT want those to sheer off under load.

Yeah I can assume that'd go over like a fart in a space suit.. we use the black oxide button heads at work but the things rust at the slightest sign of moisture. However I know those suckers hold.

Back