Help! Rain killed my bike?

nico

78 XS400-2E
Reaction score
But seriously tho, my bike has been running pretty decent for a while. Last Thursday it rained while I was at school. I had to ride home in it. Sucked. And it took a few minutes to start. I covered it when I got home and its rained everyday up until yesterday. I go out uncover it and kick and kick and kick. And nothing! Try again today. Same thing. I check my plugs, they look wet. Has gas, light comes on. The only thing I can think is battery? Any thoughts or advice?

Sounds like you got water somewhere in your wiring or ignition. The engine is flooded and the plugs are fouled with fuel. Shut off the fuel, drain the float bowls, leave the choke off, remove the plugs and ground them to the engine (use booster cables or test leads), open the throttle all the way and get the engine spun over as much as you can to clear the cylinders. Then walk away for a couple hours.

Clean the plugs and reconnect them to the ignition leads and ground them again to the engine. Check for a good spark on both. If you have spark, put the plugs back in and try it again. If you don't have spark, figure out why not.

Dave

What Dave said. I'm guessing that the failure has to be someplace within the wiring. GL with the search! I bet with a few days to dry out it will be a-o-k! But it's something that would be best corrected

clayton

Back