Help - Strange noise when i try to start

cweavexscb

XS400 New Member
Reaction score
So I have an xs 400 that I bought around a month ago. It ran when I bought it but has been a severe headache since I got it home. My first discovery was that the left side carb was messed up - the float mount had been broken off and glued back in and the glue had come loose so the float was dangling. I fixed that with a combination on regular JB Weld and waterweld. It ran after that but still not very well - was backfiring a good bit and one of the plugs was cross-threaded. Fixed that. I left the petcock on and had gas leak out and get into the oil so I drained everything and found out there was no filter screen in it. I ordered one but put everything back together in the meantime so nothing could get in the engine. After I put it back together I kicked it a few times to see if it would fire. It started up then made a strange noise and now when I kick it I still have compression but it sounds like something is free-spinning after I kick it. Any ideas?? It's not really loud but definitely noticable. I'm actually thinking about taking it to a shop which I never thought I'd do..... :wtf:

When I kickstart and it does not fire I get that frespinning sound as well. I have only had the bike since June but it has always done that, but otherwise runs fine - other than the electric starter issue i am having.

So the next day when I kicked it it didn't do it anymore. I'm guessing oil just found its way to it. Not sure if it was pump shaft or what but now I'm on to tapping out this sparkplug hole and hoping. I bought a cb 350 yesterday and got it running in no time. Maybe I should stick to hondas haha

Back