Hoosier with an 82 XS400 Maxim

Krieger

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my name's Doug. I'm 25, soon to be 26. I recently bought myself an 82 Yamaha XS400 Maxim for $500. Haven't gotten around to picking it up, yet, but I will soon. This is my first motorcycle. I've already got some ideas for what I want to do with it. I'd like to put a set of wire/spoked wheels on it, disc brake in the back, springer front end, and maybe a few performance modifications, here and there (unsure as to what, yet).

I do have one question, though. Can anyone tell me the stock rake/neck angle for the bike?

Welcome. I have that same bike but also am new to these things. My first bike also. Got it running yesterday after about 3 weeks of cleaning carbs. Took it for a short ride. Was a lot of fun. I have no idea on the angle. Check the Tech section you will find manuals tho. Clean the carbs. Put em back together then take em apart and clean them again. Do this bout five times. They will be clean and you will be familiar with carbs. I may be taking them off and messing with floats again LOL Good luck :bike::D

Carbs are easy. If I can work on an aircraft engine carburetor, I imagine this should be simple. Pretty excited about it, as I figure I made out like a bandit, for that price.

I'm sure after poking around a bit, I'll find what I seek.

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Back