In desperate need of help my kickstarter and my electric start arent working

supergizzman

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need help really bad my xs kickstarter gear broke and now the electric start isnt working does anyone know what to do

We really do understand. It's usually considered improper to post several threads on the same topic and may even turn off some potential responders. Hope you get help and figure out what is wrong.

You can always push the bike, pop the clutch, till you get it figured out. Try to park uphill. Maybe your starter needs an overhaul.

Thanks oliver B and hmusket I really appreciate the help its sucks when its your only ride I think it mite be the solenoid im currently charging the battery so I can try and jump it again

The current has to flow directly to the starter bypassing the solenoid/starter relay. Read the link I posted above to see how to do it.

Unless you meant touching the wire to the stud on the solenoid that the starter wire is attached to, if so I hope you're using heavy gauge wire.

Last edited:
I was able to get the starter to turn over a couple times but no luck starting it now the starters just making an electrical noise

I was able to get the starter to turn over but the engine didnt start I used a 10 gauge wire to jump it but now the starters making a whining noise

Could be the starter clutch. Take the starter out and feed it juice. If it spins up then it's the clutch.

My xs400rj seca has no kickstarter,so you're better off than I ,if mine messes up,I'm up the river. Fix the kickstart mechanism,and you'll have at least that. lha

So I cleaned the starter and tested it with a battery and it seems to work fine should I check and see if its getting the correct voltage

If the starter has no load[motor to turn over]the voltage draw,and drop will not be the same as if under load.In a manual,there should be a number for each:no load and under load.to test the clutch put a rag on the drive,hold it[not too tightly],and see how much power is transmitted to the sprocket. lha

Back