Installing a Tachometer Cable Question

Geologic

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Hello,

When I bought my bike, it did not come preinstalled with a Tachometer Cable. In turn, this made my Tachometer reader not work. I am about to order a tachometer cable and I was wondering if I needed something else besides the wire. After looking at the tachometer wire insert on the engine, it did not look like there was any place to secure the wire. Usually there's something that the tachometer wire can screw onto.

Am I missing something? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. I circled the tachometer wire insert.
ClBkTLy.png

Also, what's a safe speed to shift after first? And what's the redline speed on first gear? The only reason why I want to get the tachometer cable is so I don't damage my engine from redlining it.

What you have there is the end of the old tachometer cable stuck in the engine. There is a small Phillips head screw holding that insert in place to the left of your circle. You must remove this old insert to put the new cable in.

Shifting around 6,000 rpms is conservative enough, but these engines like to rev. The redline is around 9,000 or 9,500 on my '78. As long as you're not redlining all the time you'll be fine. You can tell if you've hit the redline without a tachometer because you'll often feel the power cut out as you hit that "wall."

I went to install the tachometer cable today and the screw started to strip. Any ideas on how to loosen this screw without further stripping it? It's a pain to get too because of the gas tank. I also will have to replace this screw since it's starting to strip, anyone know the dimension of it?

Simply remove the gas tank for better access; it takes two seconds.

Also, since it's a Phillips head you can cut a straight notch in the head of the screw with a Dremel or something similar so that a big flat blade screw driver will fit in it.

If I recall correctly it looks like an m5; something like 15mm long. You should be able to find a replacement at your local hardware stores. Try for stainless if they have it.

I guess you found the reason why the previous owner cut the cable off; it was seized on!

The seal in the tach drive tends to be leaky on most old bikes I have seen; the threads are probably full of grungy oil.

Avoid using heat because there is a rubber oil seal inside there.

Do you know the exact dimensions of the seal? They are abosolete I need to find one or get a plug for the whole. I think the honda sohc cb750 might fit.

Back