Is it True?

patrock

XS400 Member
Reaction score
hey all.
so i was curious as to how much a rejet on my 77' xs360 would set me back. Since i have Emgo pods and open headers. So I called my local vintage motorcycle shop. And the answer he gave was he couldn't do it...:confused: (and have it be efficient)
because #1 our "older style" carbs are designed to spit atomized fuel back into the stock airbox and then suck it back in. And #2 that i would be getting an "estimated 6 milers per gallon". He also stated he would charge 200 bucks for a rejet, sound steep?

Does this sound even remotely true?

And should i just plan on switching out the jets myself?
my bike seems to idle a tad low but picks up fine about 1/2 way and then begins to blubber almost the whole rest of the throttle. Does that sound like main jets to anyone?

and since you all like pics i figure the least i could do is help out a bit :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMAG0272.jpg
    IMAG0272.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 255
  • IMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0303.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 253
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 275
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 269
LOL! Time to find a different shop or learn how to do it yourself! 6MPG? Even with US gallons, there is no way the mileage would be that bad. Heck, a 454ci big block V8 does better than that!

I'd suggest re-installing your H-Pipe and put the filters on them. If you don't have the H-Pipe, make stacks similar to what I described in this thread.

There are plenty of threads here about re-jetting carbs. But I've found this page has the best instructions. Jets are cheap and widely available.

I like the direction your bike is heading, looks cool! And yeah, what Dave said. Your mechanic is bullshitting you pretty hard, or he doesn't know what he's talking about. Either way, you can do it yourself pretty easily. I guess if the shop rate is north of $100/hour $200 for a rejet makes some kind of sense, but it's not hard to do.

Stay away from that shop:eek: Do what dave said:thumbsup: Have you synced the carbs with a manometer? Is the rest of the bike tuned as it should be? (points, valves, timing, clean carbs) I would rethink the open header and emgo pods as they will give you a bad tune right from the start. UNI's are much better for tuning these carbs or oilable K&N's on the factory H-pipe.

Jetting is a simple process once you have the carbs apart and if you rejet to the right size you should get better mpg not worse.I got 2 sets of mains and a pilot for around $20 if I remember correctly.If you have a local bike shop near by they may have them in stock or can order them for you.

Thanks guys.
I don't remember what tires they are to be honest, i got them for fairly cheap though. i think on motorcyclesuperstore.com, Maybe IRC?
No i have never used to manometer, just synced by eye. And does the h-pipe really do anything differently? i did clean carbs and set timing points a little, but never timing or valves.

Yes. The h-pipe helps balance the carbs and with it hooked up to the breather pipe gets all the extra gasses out of the case. Use a manometer to sync the carbs after you set the timing and adjust the valves. You should have done all of the first:wink2:

After rebuilding my carbs I bench synced, gets drove. Then used a manometer. According to the meter they were still off. But I did notice a difference.

You can build one for about 5- 10 dollars.

Back