Is running in the 7000RPMs ok?

xs400neophite

XS400 Addict
Reaction score
Hello Yamsters!! Hope all are well!

I was wondering, is it advisable to get the RPMs up to 7000k?
I do it to keep up with bigger bikes. I was just wondering how advisable is it. Whats yer thoughts on this.
I 'redline'(but not really,like 7200rpms) off the line and at top end to try and stay with bigger bikes...just wondering.
The answer is "Get a bigger bike!" I know this but I was just wondering.
Can these xs400s run up at higher RPMs and be ok? :shrug:

I have had mine up to 10k:yikes: 9K is red line. I would not worry a lot but that is a high rev to run for a long period of time. You could try a smaller rear sprocket to lower the revs or get a bigger bike:wink2: Btw how fast are you going?

nah!, its fine I ran 7-8 k for 8 continuous hours going to Northern Ireland. the power band is @ 7.5 k revs and is designed to do that. near the end of the ride I had her up to 9k !

Unless your engine has been rebuilt recently I would use a little caution. Running a original 30+ year old bike wide open for hours probably not a good idea:wink2:

Last edited:
I run it up over 7,000 every time I ride (several times) and cruise in the high 6,000s on a regular basis for miles, and miles and miles.

At 6k my bikes are doing at least 70mph I guess I don't speed a lot:laugh:

I took mine up to ~8k a few times while commuting between Michigan and Chicago. More or less three hours with the tach reading at least 7k every other weekend for a couple months.

Wow drewp is that fer real? I feel better now.
@ xschris - I was only going about 75MPH @ 7200RPM (apx.)
I work about 25 miles from my house and do 75mph the whole way there.

What is your sprocket size's? At 7k I run about 82mph on my 80 crap tracker with 16-37 sprockets. Witch for around me is fast because most of the roads are 55mph.

16/39 Is stock for 78-79 models and 16/37 is for all others (sohc u.s.):)

Back