Issue with getting bike into first gear

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I notice that after the bike is warmed up I often have trouble getting into first gear when at a stop light, I found I can get it into first by letting the clutch out about half way while at the same time pushing down on the shifter with my foot, I adjusted the cable per the manual, I have a few mm slack on the clutch lever, but when I adjusted the screw on the cover end (under the black rubber peice) I have the screw backed out almost all the way? Like on other half turn and it would be all the way loose. Also the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is 90% released, but upshifting is perfect, all gears engage really smooth, I think my issue lies somewhere in the fact that I have that screw with the lock nut backed out so far?

Sounds like you are on the right track. Try adjusting everything again. Start by bottoming the adjuster at the lever so there is lots of slack in the cable. Then adjust the release mechanism in until it bottoms, then turn it out 1/4 turn and lock. Now adjust the cable slack at the lever so there is 2-3mm of free play. If you can't get enough slack adjusted out of the cable, it is stretched and needs to be replaced.

Let us know how you make out!

Maybe they gave you one for a dohc being your is an 82. Did you tell them it was a sohc model?

Yes he knew, I messed with it some more, I bottomed out the adjuster on the handle then on the housing I turned the screw til it just touched then backed off 1/4 turn. Sound right? It is going into first better now I only have to ease off the handle a few mm to get back into first.

Is there any other gears like 5th that gives you this problem or is just confine to first gear?Also what type of oil are you using some brands help with the shifting issue better than others.Which also reminds me have you checked the oil level?I had the same problem a while back but fixed it by making the same adjustment you did by removing the black rubber plug.

A lighter weight oil may help. Especially if the shifting improves when the engine warms up. Synthetic oil would also help. Just be sure to use an oil that meets JASO MA specification.

I was wondering about my adjustment too cause it seemed very far out with a new cutch cable and string, Im using royal purple in mine wet clutch approved. My clutch feels bang on for now... I can see as the cable works itself in I will have lots of room for adjustments.

Sounds like sticky clutch plates which is completely normal if you ask me. If it doesn't want to go into first (from neutral) just release the clutch in neutral, pull it back in and try again. If that doesnt help, move like half a foot forward or backward with the bike and try again. I have this all the time and so does my friend on his CB750.

Back