Just not meant for me to have an XS650!!!!

hardtailed77

Never Finished
Reaction score
So.....I've been steadily looking every single day at Craigslist for the "deal" of a 650! I've been wanting one forever. I'm sitting on the couch last nite, just browsing, and I come across an ad for a clean, titled XS650. SWEET!! I call the guy, and he had JUST posted it! I was the first to call. I set up a time to look at it this morning and then layed awake all last nite thinking about the "new" bike.

Fast forward to today.....I wake up, text the guy to make sure we are still on, and he says yes. I get load the ramps on the trailer and head his way. I arrive at this old, half falling down house and knock on the door. He answers and takes me to see the bike. It doesn't look as good as he proposed, but it supposedly had rebuilt engine, trans, carbs and new paint. It looks decent, so I ask to hear it run. He starts it, sounds ok, just has a few misses at idle.

He then tells me that the rear brakes need adjusted, but that was all the bike needed. Cool with me! I ask to take it down the street a bit to make sure it runs good, and shifts through the gears. He says sure.

I get on, put it in first, and pull out of the drive. I get through first, second, and then I go shift into third (now mind you, this is just normal cruising speed)..........then it happens!!!!

The rear brake COMPLETELY LOCKS UP!!!! The bike, with my body in tow, hits the street at around 30 MPH! I slide for about 20 feet before coming to a stop off the right side of the road. I shut the bike off and push it off of me, and look down at my damage. My knee is totally fucked, my knuckles have extensive road rash, as well as both elbows and my hip. DAMN!!!!

I limp back and let the guy know what just happened. HE'S PISSED!!! We bring the bike back and try to get it started. It finally fires off, and he calms down. All this is happening while I'm bleeding all over the guys garage.

We talk the situation over and decide that we are just happy I didn't get hurt worse. I gave the guy $100 and told him I may be able to help a little with the parts he now needed (turn signals, headlight bucket, driver peg, shift lever, and a little work to the side cover.

All in all, it turned out better than I thought. Apparently the guy failed to tell me that not only did the rear brakes need adjusted, they had locked up twice before on him! WTF people! Don't let some dude test drive your bike without telling him those problems!!!!!

The worst part of the day was that I had the $650 (good price, that's why I jumped at the deal!) in my pocket when I wrecked......ALL seven bills were torn in half! SHIT!!

Anywho, I guess there were a few lessons learned today. I'm gonna go back to mending my wounds now....Could have been a lot worse!

hope your not too beat up HT.

geez some peeps, there are a lot of dickheads around and all have different ideas what constitutes a running bike.

get well soon, chin up and all that :thumbsup:

I'll live! haha Gonna be sore as hell for a few days for sure.

People, I tell you! I felt like an ass for wrecking the man's bike, but damn, I don't think I could have avoided it. I'm just glad I didn't smash the throttle or anything!!

oh mate that sucks in a big way.

Don't feel bad, he wrecked the bike by letting it on the road knowing full well that it was not roadworthy.

Lucky for you that it locked up while test riding and not at highway speeds after you bought it.

oh mate that sucks in a big way.

Don't feel bad, he wrecked the bike by letting it on the road knowing full well that it was not roadworthy.

Lucky for you that it locked up while test riding and not at highway speeds after you bought it.
Yeah, my dad said I shouldn't have given the guy $100.....said it served him right for with-holding the brake issue from me. I just know how I would have felt if someone wrecked my bike, so that's why I felt bad. But then again, if I knew my bike had those problems before, I wouldn't have let someone test-ride it.

I'm glad it didn't happen at a higher speed too, trust me!! lol

Though a little worse for the wear, I'm glad you are OK!! That guy way totally at fault. No need to feel a bit of guilt. I don't think I would have offered him a single dollar but it was nice of you to do so. My son's '81 rear brake locked up on him last Summer as he was slowing to make a turn into his street. About the same speed. He was very lucky and managed to keep the bike upright. Inspection showed one of the rear shoes had broken into two pieces. The shoes were relatively heavy cast material. Not a confidence inspiring thing to see!!

I've lusted after a 650 also. Had a chance recently to buy one from the same guy I bought my '80 XS400 from last June. He locates old bikes and checks them over then offers them for sale. Not the steal deals some here have found but bikes in very good condition. Decided against it because of the cost at this time and just not certain I really need a 650.

I would have gave him $200 and said take it and give me the bike or i will call my lawyer!:mad:

Glad you're ok too, but damn man, call a lawyer! This guy is as liable as it gets. I'm generally not a litigious person and look back on the times I didn't sue and really wish I would have...Seriously, you should be compensated for his negligence and your pain. You could have been killed!

Glad you're ok too, but damn man, call a lawyer! This guy is as liable as it gets. I'm generally not a litigious person and look back on the times I didn't sue and really wish I would have...Seriously, you should be compensated for his negligence and your pain. You could have been killed!
I know what you mean man, I really do....I'm just glad that I didn't get hurt worse. I'm just gonna let it be and hopefully karma will work in my favor in the future for it.

I've always had the problem of being overly nice....guess I still have that problem. Oh well, what's done is done.

Wow! :yikes: I'm glad you're pretty much okay. That's a crazy story.

You should have just gave him some of the money (ripped up or not it can still be exchanged) and took the bike instead of paying him for the damage. Kinda of hard to think straight after something like that happens though.. and hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

That is pretty crazy though! I'm glad you didn't get hurt any more than you did. How bad is your knee?

Wow! :yikes: I'm glad you're pretty much okay. That's a crazy story.

You should have just gave him some of the money (ripped up or not it can still be exchanged) and took the bike instead of paying him for the damage. Kinda of hard to think straight after something like that happens though.. and hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

That is pretty crazy though! I'm glad you didn't get hurt any more than you did. How bad is your knee?
I think it's gonna be fine. It's just majorly road rashed. Tore a pretty big hole in my jeans! lol And ruined my BRAND NEW pair of shoes. I'll be fine though, like I said, just sore as hell. It's the first time I've ever laid a bike down....don't really need a second taste though.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think I should have dealt with it differently, but at the time, the only thing I could think of was the bike....kinda sad really. I'm just glad I'm alive, can't ask for much more.

hope your were wearing a dome lid....I can see myself in that situation hopping on a bike and going for a quick spin withough putting one on....

I agree totatally his fault, not justification for him to be mad at all

I'm glad you're ok. The guy is crazy for letting you ride a bike with brakes known to lock up...

Back