Just picked up universal starter solenoid, please help

Nate7504

XS400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just bought the is from the yamaha dealer, it fits perfect even mounts to stock brackets and was a lot cheaper then oem, I know the large hook ups go to battery and starter, but on top are four blade connectors, the top two go to a fuse on the back of the unit then have two hook ups that wrap around the large bottom connectors, just below the top two are two more blade connectors going right into the solenoid. The box says use either one depending on application? I know one of the sets goes to the wire harness on the bike, which I assume goes to the starter switch? But with two? You can just pop off the fuse ones and use the lower two. CAM00095.jpg

CAM00094.jpg
The option to remove the fuse connection looks more like the stock on

I have spent a lot of time on this bike and don't wanna fry anything

Attachments

• CAM00096.jpg
    CAM00096.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 62
No the instructions where specific about that part one big one goes to battery, other big one to starter motor.

You're right. One big one to the battery. The other big one to the starter. The two small ones are going to the starter switch.

You can keep it if you want, but I am pretty sure your bike should already have a fuse inline in the main fuse box serving the same purpose. I'm not sure if it will work with the fuse removed though. I would think it would be necessary as when the fuse blows it should break the circuit, so removing it should also break the circuit.

I hooked it up sixthousand diff ways and no go, must be the switch on the bars, on the plus side I got the clutch cable installed and adjusted, it was 2degrees out last night and I rode it down my ally, can't wait for spring!

You can test your hypothesis thusly:

Hook the battery and starter up to the large connections.

Connect two wires to the small connections. One wire to each connection.

Turn the bike on.

Touch the two wires together.

The starter should turn.

(You'll feel like you just "hot wired" the bike at this point)

If this works there is something wrong with your starter switch/circuit.

If this doesn't work there is something wrong with the connections going to the battery or starter.

The only way I can start it is touching the positive from battery right to the starter motor wire, I tried what you suggested and nothing

Then I would suspect the solenoid is bad or the fuse is bad. Do you have another to try? The solenoid is simply a switch and nothing more. It's a pretty simple device.

The starter switch should simply act to connect the battery to the starter. The solenoid is simply acting to separate them in this instance until the switch is depressed.

Take a volt meter and start following the lines to see where power is lost.

Yeah! Don't trust the old fuses either; they can burn out near the metal end caps and sometimes you can't see the break. Definitely test that or pop in a new one.

Back