Kick only 1979 XS400?

Jason D Broadway

XS400 Member
Reaction score
Did Yamaha ever produce a kick only xs400 in 1979?
The first thing I noticed about my bike was there is no start button.
Now taking the engine apart I noticed there is no starter or any wiring for the starter?
20160722_105321.jpg
20160722_105403.jpg

Yes. It is properly referred to as the XS4002F. The "regular" XS in 1979 was the XS400F.

Other than the kicker, the 2F had wire wheels with drums, I think. The F had alloys with disks. The 2F had a single color tank. The F had a painted pinstripe. There could be other differences, but off the top of my head, I don't remember them.

Thanks HoughMade, it all makes sense now with the drum brakes and everything else. I did read today that there were a few made as an "economy" motorcycle without the starters, disk brakes and mag wheels to cut cost and save weight. And now I know the complete model number of my bike, XS4002F!

I've got the 1978 version of that one, see little picture to the left! An XS4002E

nice looking bike. Personally I don't mind kick only bikes once they are sorted. getting them to that point can be long and tedious.

Mine starts first or second kick even with 34,000+ miles on it. The biggest/hardest thing is to keep them all stock. When you start doing pods and aftermarket exhaust things get iffy.

Back